Specialization Requirements for the Reading Endorsement
(1) A bachelor’s or higher degree with certification in an academic, degreed vocational, administrative, or specialty class coverage; and one of the following options:
(a) Fifteen (15) semester hours in reading coursework based upon scientifically based reading research with a focus on both the prevention and remediation of reading difficulties to include the areas specified below:
1. Six (6) semester hours in understanding reading as a process of student engagement in both fluent decoding of words and construction of meaning;
2. Three (3) semester hours in the administration and interpretation of instructional assessments to include screening, diagnosis, and progress monitoring with purposes of prevention, identification, and remediation of reading difficulties;
3. Three (3) semester hours in understanding how to prescribe, differentiate instruction, and utilize appropriate strategies and materials based upon scientifically based reading research in order to address the prevention, identification, and remediation of reading difficulties in order to increase reading performance; and
4. Three (3) semester hours in a supervised practicum to obtain practical experience in increasing the reading performance of a student(s) with the prescription and utilization of appropriate strategies and materials based upon scientifically based reading research to address the prevention, identification, and remediation of reading difficulties.
(b) The completion of an approved certificate meeting the criteria of Section 1012.586, F.S. The department will review such a certificate provided the following items are submitted by a program for review:
1. Evidence the organization is internationally recognized for establishing standards for evidence-based interventions for struggling readers;
2. A thorough description of the competencies to be mastered in the specific certificate program to ensure these competencies are comparable to the Florida Reading Endorsement Competencies; and
3. A description of the clinical experience required to complete the certificate.
(c) A passing score on the Reading Certification Exam as determined by Rule 6A-4.0021, F.A.C.
Rulemaking Authority 1001.02, 1012.55, 1012.56 FS. Law Implemented 1001.02, 1012.54, 1012.55, 1012.56, 1012.586 FS. History–New 7-30-02, Amended 12-22-19.