Beginning with the 2022–23 school year, Florida’s statewide, standardized assessments in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics will be aligned with the Benchmarks for Excellent Student Thinking (B.E.S.T.). Writing will first be administered in spring 2023 as a standalone field test administered to a representative sample of Florida students. Beginning with the 2023–24 school year, Writing will be administered during each spring administration. Writing scores will be reported separately from Reading; they will not contribute to an overall ELA score.
Writing will be computer-based in all assessed grades, and prompts will be in response to texts.
- B.E.S.T. Writing Rubrics
- Grades 4–6 Argumentative (PDF)
- Grades 4–6 Expository (PDF)
- Grades 7–10 Argumentative (PDF)
- Grades 7–10 Expository (PDF)
- B.E.S.T. Writing Scoring Samplers
- Test Design Summary and Blueprint: FAST English Language Arts (PDF)
- B.E.S.T. Standards Achievement Level Descriptions (PDF)