K-12 Student Assessment
The Bureau of K-12 Assessment is responsible for all aspects of Florida's K-12 statewide student assessment programs, including developing, administering, scoring, and reporting the results for assessments aligned to Florida's academic standards, as well as assisting with the administration and reporting of several other K-12 student assessment programs. Services are provided both by Florida Department of Education (FDOE) staff and through various contracts with assessment vendors. The primary goal of these assessments is to provide information about student learning in Florida, as required by Florida law (see Section 1008.22, Florida Statutes).
Florida's K-12 Statewide Assessment Program
To learn about the individual K-12 assessments offered in Florida, visit the links below:
- Florida Assessment of Student Thinking (FAST) Assessments: The FAST progress monitoring and coordinated screening program includes VPK through grade 10 English Language Arts (ELA) Reading and VPK through grade 8 Mathematics assessments that are aligned to the B.E.S.T. Standards and are administered three times per year.
- End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments: The EOC assessments are computer-based tests designed to measure student achievement of the specified standards for middle- and high-school level courses in Mathematics (Algebra 1, Geometry), Science (Biology 1), and Social Studies (Civics and U.S. History).
- Statewide Science Assessment: The Statewide Science Assessment measures student success with the Next Generation Sunshine State Standards (NGSSS) and includes assessments in grades 5 and 8.
- Writing Assessments: Writing assessments aligned to the B.E.S.T. Standards will be administered to grades 4–10. For the 2022–23 school year, Writing will only be administered as a standalone field test to a representative group of Florida students during the spring administration.
- Florida Standards Assessments (FSA) Retake Assessments: Retake administrations of the FSA Grade 10 ELA Assessment and the FSA Algebra 1 EOC Assessment will be administered during the fall and spring administrations for students who need to participate in the assessment to meet their graduation assessment requirement(s).
- FSA Historical: Last administered in spring 2022, students in grades 3–10 took the English Language Arts FSA and students in grades 3–8 took the Mathematics FSA. Retake administrations of the Grade 10 FSA ELA and the FSA Algebra 1 EOC are still available for students who need the assessments to meet their graduation requirement.
- ACCESS for ELLs: Florida's tool to measure English Language Learners (ELLs) proficiency in the English language, ensuring the skills needed in school to achieve at high levels, academically.
- Florida Civic Literacy Exam (FCLE): The FCLE measures civic literacy competency for students completing a U.S. Government course.
- Florida Standards Alternate Assessment (FSAA): Designed for students whose participation in the general statewide assessment program is not appropriate, even with accommodations.
- National and International Assessments (NAEP, PIRLS, PISA, and TIMSS): National and state assessments enable us to know how well students are doing in a variety of subjects at different ages and grade levels. International assessments allow us the unique opportunity to benchmark our students' performance to the performance of students in other countries. Florida participates in several national (NAEP) and international (PIRLS, PISA, TIMSS) criterion-referenced surveys.