Work-Based Learning Toolkit
- Work-Based Learning Manual (PDF) (v.1.1 2022)
- Work-Based Learning Templates
Work-Based Learning Standards
- Work-Based Learning Opportunities §446.0915, F.S.
- Work-Based Learning Standards Rule 6A-23.0042, F.A.C.
- Webinar PowerPoint (PDF) and video recording on the Work-Based Learning Standards Rule 6A-23.0042, F.A.C. and the Reimbursement for Workers’ Compensation Insurance Premiums Rule 6A-6.05732, F.A.C.
Workers’ Compensation Insurance Reimbursement
- Reimbursement for Workers’ Compensation Insurance Premiums §446.54, F.S.
- Memo: “Reimbursement of Workers’ Compensation Insurance Premiums” (PDF) - April 25, 2022
- Guidelines for Requesting Reimbursement for Costs of Workers’ Compensation Premiums (PDF)
- Please email electronic copies of your applications to John West, Office of the Comptroller, at John.West@fldoe.org.
- Sample Template for Businesses to Request Workers’ Compensation Insurance Premium Reimbursement (Word)
- Sample Template for Districts and Colleges to Request Workers’ Compensation Insurance Premium Reimbursement (Word)
- Reimbursement of Self-Insurance Assessments:
- The Department of Financial Services (DFS) has advised that the workers’ compensation assessments paid by self-insured school districts and colleges may be considered premiums for the purposes of the work-based learning opportunities reimbursement opportunity. The citations provided by DFS in support of this interpretation are s. 440.51, Florida Statutes, and Rules 69L-4001 and 69L-4002, Florida Administrative Code. Given this determination, self-insured school districts and colleges may use the workers’ compensation assessments paid to DFS as the equivalent of premiums for the purpose of calculating their requests for reimbursement consistent with s. 446.54, Florida Statutes and Rule 6A-6.05732, Florida Administrative Code.
Postsecondary Internship Tax Credit
- Internship Tax Credit Program §220.198, F.S.
- Internship Tax Credit Program Rule 12CER22-1
- Summary of the Florida Corporate Income/Franchise Tax Internship Tax Credit Program by the FL Dept. of Revenue
- Application for Tax Credit for the Florida Internship Tax Credit Program
- General Program Operation
- FLDOE’s Experiential Learning Framework for Perkins Size, Scope, and Quality (PDF)
- The National Center for College and Career’s ConnectED Studios Work-Based Learning Toolkit (sign in required) - sizeable, curated list of resources for operating work-based learning programs
- ACTE's Work-Based Learning Resources
- FLDOE’s On-the-Job Training page
- High School Graduation Requirements
- List of work-based learning courses that fulfill the requirements of the high school Career and Technical Education Graduation Pathway Option
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance
- The Division of Workers’ Compensation webpage, which includes a public search of employer proof of coverage and other workers’ compensation resources
- Child Labor Laws
- The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) offers a free, Florida-specific curriculum called Youth@Work – Talking Safety that helps teachers and school/community-based job placement staff educate young people about the basics of job safety and health.
- Safety training and information through the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), including the 10-Hour and 30-Hour Cards programs, which are industry-recognized and sought credentials for safety training.
- The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) offers a guidance on formulating safety checklists as well as has developed sample checklits by Career and Technical Education program area, particular workplace hazards, and even by occupation. A complete list of NIOSH safety checklists can be found here.
- Florida Department of Law Enforcement’s Sexual Offenders and Predators Search or the United States Department of Justice’s Dru Shodin National Sex Offender Public Website
- On-Campus WBL
- Career Preparation & Employability Skill Development
- CareerPrepped – ACTE employability skill training and badging, portfolio and resume building tools, and job search tools
- Florida Ready to Work – a career readiness training and credentialing platform established by §445.06, Fla. Stat.
- Asia Society’s Center for Global Education’s Global CTE Toolkit – projects and resources to build global competence
- Perkins Collaborative Resource Network Employability Skill Framework
- Google’s Interview Warmup – a tool that allows individuals to practice their interview skills and receive artificial intelligence feedback to improve.
- Students with Disabilities
- Florida’s Vocational Rehabilitation Transition Youth Services Website – resources for students needing accommodations for work-based learning and other services
- Job Accommodation Network (JAN) - browse workplace accommodations that can be provided to individuals with specific disabilities
- Employer Assistance and Resource Network on Disability Inclusion (EARN) – resources for employers in supporting individuals with disabilities
- The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health’s (NIOSH) “Staying Safe at Work” safety curriculum for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- The Department of Labor’s Office of Disability Employment Policy’s Inclusive Internship Programs: A How-to Guide for Employers (PDF) — a guide designed for public and private employers of all sizes to learn about the benefits and logistics of facilitating internship programs that attract all young adults, including those with disabilities.
- Creating Work Based Learning Opportunities On and Off Campus with Dr. Jason Krupp of St. Petersburg College, and Matthew Fritzius and James Payne of Broward County Schools – video recording (9/15/22)
- "Overview of Florida’s Work-Based Learning Quality Framework” (PDF) by Lee Chipps-Walton on 7/20/22
- Bridging the Gap – Connected Business and Education Through Work-Based Learning with Carlos Artime and Courtney Stahlman of Collier County Public Schools and Michael Dalby and Alex Breault of the Naples Chamber – PowerPoint slides (PDF) and video recording (3/10/2021)
- Accommodations for Students with Disabilities in Work Based Learning with Brandi Boyer Rutherford and Johana Valdivieso of Florida Vocational Rehabilitation – PowerPoint slides (PDF) and video recording (2/10/2021)
- Work-Based Learning During Social Distancing with Dr. Lupe Diaz of Miami-Dade County Public Schools & Dr. Brian Robinson of Advance CTE - PowerPoint slides (PDF) & video recording - (10/7/2020)
Email Lee Chipps-Walton at Lee.Chipps-Walton@fldoe.org with questions or feedback on work-based learning.