Skip to Content
Career & Adult Education
Skip Navigation

Veterans Diplomas

In 2013, the Legislature passed legislation that states the Commissioner of Education may award a standard high school diploma to an honorably discharged veteran who has not completed high school graduation requirements. Section 1003.4286, Florida Statutes, provides for the award of a standard high school diploma to eligible veterans who meet the following criteria:

  • Left a public or non-public school located in any state prior to graduation and entered the armed forces of the United States.
  • Is a current resident of the state of Florida, or was previously enrolled in any high school in this state, or was a resident of the state of Florida at the time of death.
  • Is honorably discharged from the armed forces of the United States as verified by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The Florida Department of Education may send a standard Florida high school diploma upon receiving a completed application along with your DD Form 214 or other honorable discharge documentation. Also, family members who would like to apply for a diploma posthumously may do so.

The Florida Departments of Education and Veterans Affairs will work together to assist veterans with the application process for their diplomas.

  • For program information veterans should contact: Sherese Butler at the Division of Career and Adult Education, Florida Department of Education, 325 West Gaines Street, Room 734, Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400, or by calling 850-245-0446.
  • For assistance in obtaining your DD Form 214 contact Michael White at the Florida Department of Veterans' Affairs at or by calling 727-319-7412.

Veterans High School Diploma Application (Excel)


Sherese Butler
Division of Career and Adult Education
325 West Gaines Street, Suite 734
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400
Phone: 850-245-0446