Open Door Grant Program
During the 2021 Florida Legislative Session, House Bill 1507 created section (s.) 1009.895, Florida Statutes (F.S.), to establish the Open Door Grant Program (Open Door), which will provide funds to support student completion of short-term, high-demand credit and non-credit career and technical education (CTE) programs at career centers and Florida College System (FCS) institutions. The Open Door Grant Program was established for the purpose of:
- Creating and sustaining a demand-driven supply of credentialed workers for high-demand occupations by addressing and closing the gap between the skills needed by workers in the state and the skills of the available workforce in the state.
- Expanding the affordability of workforce training and credentialing.
- Increasing the interest of current and future workers in short-term, high-demand career and technical education credentialing and certificate programs.
The Open Door Grant Program funds may be used to cover the cost of tuition, fees, examination, books and materials. The Florida Department of Education will provide grants to agencies on a first-come, first-serve basis, with no single agency receiving more than one-quarter of funds.
- Rule 6A-20.045, Florida Administrative Code, Open Door Grant Program
- Memo: Approval of New Rule 6A-20.045, Florida Administrative Code, Open Door Grant Program
Request for Application
- Open Door Grant Program Request for Application (PDF)
- Open Door Grant Program Open Door Excel Workbook with Budget Narrative 101S (Excel)
- DOE 100A, Project Application Form (Word)
- Open Door Grant Program Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Memo: Open Door Grant Program – Request for Applications Now Available (September 15, 2021) (PDF)
- September 15, 2021 – FDOE released the Request for Application.
- September 17, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. (EDT) – FDOE hosted a webinar to review the Request for Application.
- September 27, 2021 at 1:00 p.m. (EDT) – FDOE posted a webinar to review the Request for Application.
- September 28, 2021 – For questions received by September 24, 2021, FDOE will post written responses on its Open Door webpage so they are available to all agencies.
- October 15, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. (EDT) – Deadline to submit completed application to be considered in the first review period.
- A completed application must be submitted via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Of the funds appropriated to the program, 25 percent will be reserved for rural institutions for applications received by this date.
- November 1, 2021 at 5:00p.m. (EDT) – Final deadline to submit a completed application to be considered for an Open Door grant allocation.
- A completed application must be submitted via email to: email@example.com. Agencies that do not submit an application by this date will not be considered.
Questions regarding the program may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.