Professional Development Standards
District professional development activities in Florida are guided by Florida's Professional Development System Evaluation Protocol. This evaluation model assesses the local planning, learning, implementation and evaluation of professional development activities according to standards modeled after the Learning Forward (formerly National Staff Development Council) standards as well as Florida statutory requirements. The Professional Development System Evaluation Protocol includes standards that serve to identify and recognize best practices as well as to identify local professional development systems in need of improvement.
The Florida Department of Education initiated the Professional Development System Evaluation Protocol in spring 2003 as a means to fulfill the requirements of section 1012.98, Florida Statutes. This legislation sets forth that the purpose of professional development systems is to increase student achievement, enhance classroom instructional strategies that promote rigor and relevance throughout the curriculum, and prepare students for continuing education and the workforce. The standards were revised and updated in 2010 to reflect recent changes in law and current research and practice.
Florida's Professional Development System Evaluation Protocol provides the criteria for evaluating the quality of each district's professional development system. Systems are evaluated at the district, school and educator level in four essential elements of high-quality professional development, or strands, which are incorporated into each level: planning, learning, implementing and evaluating. Judgments on 65 standards organized under these strands are made using a 4-point rating scale, with a midpoint of 2.5. A school district meets the adequacy provision when the average of the ratings for all of the standards is above the midpoint on the scale. District professional development systems are reviewed on a four-year cycle beginning with the third cycle in the 2010-2011 school year.
Information on the Florida Professional Development Protocol
- Professional Development System Evaluation Protocol 2010 (PDF, 694KB)
- Professional Development System Evaluation Protocol Reviewer's Guide Third Cycle (PDF, 1MB)
- Professional Development Standards (Planning/Learning/Implementing/Evaluating) (PDF, 29KB)
- Matrix of Professional Development Standards for Educator, School, and District levels (PDF, 46KB)
Tools for District Site Reviews
- Checklist for district level implementation of standards (PDF, 71KB)
- Checklist for school level implementation of standards (PDF, 61KB)
- Checklist for educator level implementation of standards (PDF, 52KB)
- Checklist for leadership development program review (PDF, 227KB)
Third Cycle District Reviews
- Year Three Cross District Full Report (PDF, 352KB)
- Year Two Cross District Report Summary (PDF, 60KB)
- Year Two Cross District Full Report (PDF, 301KB)
- Year One Cross District Report Summary (PDF, 85KB)
- Year One Cross District Full Report (PDF, 345KB)
Second Cycle District Reviews
- Second Cycle Cross District Report Summary (PDF, 81KB)
- Second Cycle Cross District Full Report (PDF, 1MB)
- Second Cycle Professional Development System Evaluation Protocol Manual (PDF, 622KB)