Student Disability Support Services
Students with disabilities are welcome at all Florida colleges.
The Florida College System is committed to fulfilling equal educational opportunity, autonomy, and full inclusion for students with disabilities.
High school Individualized Education Program (IEP) and Section 504 Plans expire after high school. Therefore, students must self-disclose their disability and register with their college’s student disability services office to receive services. Students in need of disability services must also present current documentation of their disability.
Documentation requirements may vary across colleges and may also be different than the documents required by middle and high schools.
Colleges recommend that students register as early as possible before the beginning of a semester to ensure accommodations are in place. Please contact the college’s student disability services office for specific documentation requirements.
College students with documented disabilities can receive auxiliary aids and services, which may include extended time on exams, texts in an alternative format, note-takers, and sign language interpreters. Students are encouraged to contact the college to learn what specific accommodations are available.
Nondiscrimination and Equal Opportunity
All Florida College System institutions are equal opportunity institutions and provide equal opportunity for employment and educational opportunities to all applicants for employment, employees, applicants for admission, students and others without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, gender, and any other factor protected under applicable federal, state, and local civil rights laws, rules and regulations.
Should any issues arise, all persons are encouraged to work through the internal complaint and appeal processes at their respective institutions as the first step in filing a complaint. After exhausting all processes at the college, information regarding the next level of complaints may be on the Complaints page.
- Florida Department of Education, Division of Exceptional Student Education
- Florida Department of Education, Division of Blind Services
- Florida Department of Education, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
Relevant Florida Statutes
- 1004.91 - Career-preparatory instruction
- 1007.02 - Access to postsecondary education and meaningful careers for students with disabilities
- 1007.264 - Impaired and learning disabled persons; admission to postsecondary educational institutions
- 1007.265 - Impaired and learning disabled persons; graduation, study program admission, and upper-division entry
- 1009.41 - State financial aid; students with a disability
- 1007.25 - General education courses; common prerequisites; and other degree requirements
Relevant Florida State Board of Education Rules
- 6A-10.040 - Basic Skills Requirements for Postsecondary Career Certificate Education
- 6A-10.041 - Substitution for Requirements for Eligible Students with Disabilities at Florida Colleges and Postsecondary Career Centers
- 6A-20.111 - Criteria for Documentation of Disability
Links to FCS Institutions’ Student Disability Support Services:
- Broward College
- Chipola College
- College of Central Florida
- College of the Florida Keys
- Daytona State College
- Eastern Florida State College
- Florida Gateway College
- Florida SouthWestern State College
- Florida State College at Jacksonville
- Gulf Coast State College
- Hillsborough Community College
- Indian River State College
- Lake-Sumter State College
- Miami Dade College
- North Florida College
- Northwest Florida State College
- Palm Beach State College
- Pasco-Hernando State College
- Pensacola State College
- Polk State College
- Santa Fe College
- Seminole State College
- South Florida State College
- St. Johns River State College
- St. Petersburg College
- State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota
- Tallahassee Community College
- Valencia College