Third Grade Guidance
Third Grade Guidance and Resources
Florida Statutes and Florida State Board of Education Rules
- Section 1008.25, Florida Statutes
Guidance and Resources
- Promotion to Grade 4 Technical Assistance Paper (PDF)
- Read to Learn booklet for parents of Florida’s third grade students (PDF)
- Read to Learn booklet for parents of Florida's third grade students - Spanish (PDF)
Third Grade Portfolio
The Just Read Portfolio Assessments resource is provided on the CPALMS site by the Florida Department of Education to support instruction in English Language Arts (ELA).
The Just Read Portfolio - ELA Assessments and Just Read Portfolio - ELA Assessments - Supporting Documents can be used as part of the criteria for good cause promotion to demonstrate student proficiency of the ELA Florida Standards through the 2021-2022 school year. The assessments can be given to students both in the face to face model of instruction or the virtual classroom model. To access the documents, you will need to be logged into your CPALMS account.
- Third Grade Portfolio Guidance (PDF)
- Just Read Portfolio - ELA Assessments
- Just Read Portfolio - ELA Assessments - Supporting Documents
If further assistance is needed, please contact Just Read, Florida! at 850-245-0503 or JustRead@fldoe.org.
Alternative Assessments For Good Cause Promotion
In accordance with section 1008.25(6)(b)(3), F.S., and State Board Rule 6A-1.094221, F. A.C., districts may submit for approval alternate assessments to be used for good cause promotion to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Assessments must meet the following criteria found in Rule 6A-1.094221, F. A. C.:
- Internal consistency reliability coefficients of at least 0.80;
- High validity evidenced by the alignment of the test with nationally recognized content standards, as well as specific evidence of content, concurrent or criterion validity;
- Norming studies within the last five (5) to ten (10) years, with norming within five (5) years being preferable; and
- Serves as a measure of grade 3 achievement in reading comprehension.
The following assessments have been approved for use. The percentile required on each assessment is also provided.
SAT-10: 45th Percentile
Terranova: 50th Percentile
ITBS: 50th Percentile
NWEA MAP: 50th Percentile
STAR Enterprise: 50th Percentile (must use Enterprise version)
I-Ready: 50th Percentile - I-Ready Norming Tables (PDF)
I-Station: 50th Percentile
Achieve3000 LevelSet: 50th Percentile
The following assessments have been submitted for approval by a district and are pending approval; notification will be made to all districts once a determination is made.
No pending reviews at this time.
The following assessments were denied approval and the portion of the rule which eliminated the assessment is provided.
- Discovery Education Assessment - Did not meet criteria 1, 2 or 3
- AIMS Web - Did not meet criteria 4