Tobacco (TBC) - Level IV
The possession, sale, purchase, distribution, or use of tobacco or nicotine products on school grounds, at school-sponsored events, or on school transportation by any person under the age of 21. Tobacco incidents cannot be Drug-related.
- A student under 21 possessing and/or smoking cigarettes, cigars, etc.
- A student under 21 possessing and/or using a nicotine dispensing device or electronic nicotine delivery system (ENDS) such as electronic cigarettes, vape pens, hookah pens, etc.
- A student using smokeless tobacco or nicotine products.
- A 21-year-old student smoking a cigar on campus.
Although electronic cigarettes do not contain tobacco, they do contain nicotine and should be reported as SESIR Tobacco and Vaping-Related.
Tobacco incidents should be coded as "Reported to Law Enforcement" any time a civil citation is written by a law enforcement officer. (See Section 569.12, Florida Statutes).
Although district codes of student conduct may make it against the district code for students age 21 and older to be smoking or using tobacco/nicotine on school campus, it still is not in violation of the state statute and should not be reported in SESIR.
- 386.212 Smoking prohibited near school property...
- 569.101 Selling...or giving tobacco products to persons under 8 years of age...
- 569.11 Possession...and purchase of tobacco products by persons under 18 years of age...
Office of Safe Schools
325 West Gaines Street, Room 1302
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400