Simple Battery (PHA) - Level II
Definition:An actual and intentional touching or striking of another person against his or her will, or the intentional causing of bodily harm to an individual.
- Throwing an object and hitting someone hard enough to cause injury.
- Aggressively punching another person in the face.
- Student committing a battery upon a school district employee such as a teacher or other staff person.
- Horseplay, low-level pushing and shoving between students.
- Student or other engaging in a fight/combat with another and physical intervention is necessary to stop it. Student becoming engaged in a fight which results in the need for first aid or medical attention for one or both of the participants. (Refer to Fighting as a possible SESIR code).
Simple Battery is an appropriate incident category for incidents that involve an arrest for "simple" battery (as opposed to aggravated battery arrests which should be coded as SESIR Aggravated Battery).
- 784.03(1)(a) Battery
- 784.07(2)(b) Assault or battery of law enforcement officers…
- 784.08(2)(c) Assault or battery on persons 65 years of age or older…
- 784.081(2)(c) Assault or battery on specified officials or employees…
Office of Safe Schools
325 West Gaines Street, Room 1302
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400