Disruption on Campus-Major (DOC) - Level III
Disruptive behavior that poses a serious threat to the learning environment, health, safety, or welfare of others. Examples of major disruptions include bomb threats, inciting a riot, or initiating a false fire alarm.
- Student or other making a bomb threat.
- Student engaging in disruptive behavior that causes the bus driver to stop the bus to ensure the safety of the group.
- Student or other causing an incident that results in closing the cafeteria.
- Student or other inciting a riot.
- Student or other pulling a fire alarm.
- Student or other deliberately crashing the school computer system.
- Student or other causing an incident that prevents other students from proceeding to the next class or prevents egress.
- Disruption of a single classroom.
- Student defying authority.
- Student disobeying or showing disrespect to others.
- Student or other using obscene or inappropriate language or gestures.
- Student not sitting in seat and/or talking loudly while school bus is moving.
Note: DOC-Major is a "Violent Incident if it Results in Bodily Injury" and must be reported in the related element "Injury-Related." Only report incidents that disrupt all or a significant portion of campus. Incidents that affect a single classroom during a single class period should not be reported in SESIR. Although schools may consider the non-examples as Disruption on Campus-Major for SESIR purposes, they are not. However, schools may want to document these types of incidents as locally-defined incidents.
Bomb threats and false bomb reports as defined in Sections 790.162 and 790.163, Florida Statutes, are considered felony offenses and require expulsion for at least one year and referral for prosecution. Bomb threats fall under the zero tolerance policy (Section 1006.13(3)(b), Florida Statutes).
- 790.162 Threat to throw, project, place, or discharge any destructive device
- 790.163 False report about planting bomb…
- 790.166 Manufacture, possession, sale, delivery, display, use, or attempted or threatened use of a weapon of mass destruction or hoax weapon of mass destruction prohibited
- 806.101 False alarms of fires
- 870 Affrays*; Riots; Routs
- 877.13 Educational institutions or school boards; penalty for disruption*
- 1006.07(2)(l) District school board duties relating to student discipline and school safety-threat or false report
Office of Safe Schools
325 West Gaines Street, Room 1302
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400