Welcome to the Healthy Schools webpage! Our Vision is "Florida's Children: Healthy, Fit and Ready to Learn." Healthy Schools encompasses two curriculum content areas: Health Education and Physical Education and the following projects; Statewide Online Tobacco Prevention Teacher Training; USF Healthy Schools HIV/STD, Teen Pregnancy Prevention and Florida Youth Survey.
Healthy Schools fully embraces the eight-component Coordinated School Health (CSH) model. CSH approach is designed to address issues of student health and academic success at the state, district and school levels.
Health Education State Board Rule Information
In July, August, and September of 2019, the State Board of Education adopted three rules related to health education. This section provides DPS (Division of Public Schools) memos from Chancellor Jacob Oliva, a FAQ document for the mental and emotional health education rule, and optional implementation plan templates (updated 10/24/19) that each school district can use to submit to the department and post on their school district website.
Visit the Health Education Rules Implementation Plans webpage to view each school districts implementation plans. Annual Reports are linked at the Florida Required Instruction webpage. View the DPS Memo from May 29, 2020 regarding the FDOE Required Instruction Reporting portal.
- Mental and Emotional Health Education, DPS Memo, July 19, 2019 (PDF)
- Mental and Emotional Health Education, Updated FAQs, September 17, 2019 (PDF)
- Mental and Emotional Health Education Implementation Plan Template (Word)
- Substance Use and Abuse Health Education, DPS Memo, August 23, 2019 (PDF)
- Substance Use and Abuse Health Education Implementation Plan Template (Word)
- Child Trafficking Prevention Education, DPS Memo, September 20, 2019 (PDF)
- Child Trafficking Prevention Education Implementation Plan Template (Word)
- Required Instruction Reporting, DPS Memo, September 20, 2019 (PDF)
- Implementation Plans for Health Education State Board of Education Rules, Memo (PDF)
Eight Components of Coordinated School Health
The CSH approach consists of eight major components:
- Health Education
- Physical Education
- Health Services
- Nutrition Services and Education
- Counseling, Psychological and Social Services
- Healthy School Environment
- Health Promotion for Staff
- Parent and Community Involvement
By definition all Coordinated School Health components work together to improve the lives of students and their families. Although these components are listed separately, it is their continuous merging that allows CSH to have significant impact.
Staff Contact Information
Director, Office of Healthy Schools
Bureau of Standards and Instructional Support
325 West Gaines Street, Suite 444
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400
Dr. Tamara Gibson-Alonso
Health Education Coordinator
HIV/AIDS Prevention Education Coordinator