Intellectual Disabilities (InD)
DefinitionAn intellectual disability is defined as significantly below average general intellectual and adaptive functioning manifested during the developmental period, with significant delays in academic skills. Developmental period refers to birth to eighteen (18) years of age.
State Lead Contact
State Laws and Regulations
The rule referenced below is specific to InD. Please refer to Florida Statutes and State Board of Education Rules - Hyperlinked Index (PDF) for a complete listing of laws and regulations applicable to exceptional student education.
- Rule 6A-6.03011, Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.), Exceptional Student Education Eligibility for Students with Intellectual Disabilities (Word)
- DPS: 2016-13 - Memorandum: Least Restrictive Environment Considerations Related to Individual Educational Plans (PDF)
- Measuring Adaptive Behavior - Important Information for Parents (RTF)
- Accommodations: Assisting Students with disabilities (2018) (PDF)
- Technical Assistance Paper Statewide Assessment for Students with Disabilities (PDF)
- Technical Assistance Paper DPS: 2015-16 - Waiver of Statewide, Standardaized Assessment Results for Students with Disabilities) (PDF)
- Transition Planning for Students with Intellectual Disabilities (PDF)