Upgrading From The Temporary To The Professional Certificate
Apply • Public Certification Search • Search Disciplinary Actions
- Application. The individual who holds a nonrenewable Temporary Certificate may apply for upgrade to an initial five-year renewable Professional Certificate by submitting the online application.
- Application Validity. The application for the initial Professional Certificate is valid for one year from the date of receipt in our bureau. The applicant should review the Official Statement of Status of Eligibility and consult with district certification personnel as needed to ensure timely completion of all requirements for the Professional Certificate.
- Issuance of Certificate. When the application is processed, the Professional Certificate is issued if documentation of timely completion of all requirements is on file in our bureau. If there are deficiencies, a letter is emailed to the applicant outlining all remaining requirements for the Professional Certificate. The certificate or letter is sent to the email address currently on file.
- Score Reports and Transcripts. The testing office electronically submits certification examination passing scores to our bureau. If college courses were completed to satisfy Professional Certificate requirements, an official transcript of the courses must be submitted to our bureau. Many institutions offer electronic transcript transmission which is the most secure and efficient method of submission. Please request this option when available.
- Timely Completion of Requirements. The Temporary Certificate holder is expected to complete all requirements for the Professional Certificate during the validity period of the Temporary Certificate. The employing public school district may require completion of requirements prior to expiration of the Temporary Certificate for contract renewal and continued employment the following school year. The employee should fully discuss all terms and conditions for continued employment with the employing school district.
Please note that the Bureau of Educator Certification is authorized to issue the Professional Certificate contiguous to the Temporary Certificate if all Professional Certificate requirements, including application submission, are completed no later than June 30th of the year immediately after the expiration of the Temporary Certificate. However, as explained in the preceding paragraph, this timeline does not ensure continued employment with the public school district.
- Temporary Certificates. State Board of Education Rules do not permit the issuance of “back-to-back” Temporary Certificates. Only the Professional Certificate can be issued for the school year immediately following the validity period of the Temporary Certificate