Critical Incident/Emergency Planning for Schools
Article 9 Section 4 of the Florida Constitution invests school boards with the authority to operate, control and supervise the school districts independently of outside interference. However, all districts should work closely with their local Emergency Management authorities before and after disasters to ensure situational awareness, and to request disaster related resources.
The Department of Education (DOE) Office of Emergency Management (OEM), through their EM Buddies system, partners with districts throughout the emergency management cycle, obtaining updates, amplifying district needs and concerns, and providing support as appropriate. OEM has no role in managing or guiding district emergency management programs or response activities.
Emergency Management Resources
- Emergency Management Director Contact
- Guide for Developing High-Quality School Emergency Operations Plans (PDF)
- The Role of Districts in Developing High-Quality School Emergency Operations Plans (PDF)
- Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools
- Resources to Create a Safer School
- Florida School Safety Program Resources
- Florida Child Abuse Hotline - Florida Department of Children and Families
- Safe Online Surfing Program - Safe Online Surfing (SOS) Internet Challenge — FBI
- Creating a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program