Fingerprint Processing Instructions
Changes have been made to the "Fingerprint Processing Instructions"
Please read carefully!
Review "Submitting Fingerprints for Certification" instructions on the Florida Department of Education (FLDOE) Educator Certification website at www.fldoe.org/teaching/certification/steps-to-certification/step-4-submitting-fingerprints-for-cer.stml. Determine the category under which you should proceed for fingerprint processing.
- Employees of Public Schools - processed directly by school district employer
- Employees of Nonpublic Schools
- Individuals Not Seeking Florida Employment
For category 1 above: You should contact your school district employer and follow the district's instructions.
For categories 2 and 3 above: You should only have fingerprints processed if you satisfy one of the following eligibility scenarios:
- You are a United States citizen, and you are eligible for issuance of a Florida Professional Educator's Certificate as evidenced by your valid Statement of Status of Eligibility (SOE) from the Bureau of Educator Certification (BEC).
- You are eligible for issuance of a Florida Athletic Coaching Certificate as evidenced by your valid SOE from the BEC.
- You are eligible for issuance of a Florida Educator's Certificate as evidenced by your valid SOE, and you are employed by a private school with a Florida state-approved Professional Education Competence (PEC) program. Consult with your employer to determine approval status for the PEC program.
Please note: If an individual chooses to have his/her fingerprints processed prior to Florida employment for issuance of the Professional Certificate, it may be necessary to have the fingerprints re-processed, and the individual may have to pay a second processing fee as a condition of employment in a Florida public school.
Live Capture (Livescan) Fingerprint Processing
Register with a qualified Livescan Service Provider approved by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE). Review the FDLE listing to locate possible options available in your area. There are numerous service providers within the state of Florida. Each of these service providers is required to register and certify their devices with FDLE before submitting electronic criminal history record check requests on behalf of an agency. Note: Non-public school employees should consult with their employers for their recommended Livescan Service Providers and/or locations.
If you are submitting fingerprints as “Individual Not Seeking Florida Employment”, you may need to select an FDLE approved service provider who is designated as ‘Hard Card Scanning Capable’ from the Livescan Service Provider list. If you choose hard card fingerprinting your prints must be captured on the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s (FBI) fingerprint card form FD-258 (blue boxing); if any other FBI card form is used it may be rejected and your results delayed. Your service provider may send you the required fingerprint hard card or you may request BEC mail the fingerprint cards which you will then send to the FDLE approved service provider of your choice.
To Search for a Service Provider:
- Go to http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/ and select "Request a Criminal History" under Search Our Systems
- Click on "Livescan Service Providers and Device Vendors" OR
- Use the "Quick Links" tab located on the home page and scroll down to choose "Fingerprinting" and then click on "Livescan Service Providers and Device Vendors".
- Register for Fingerprint Procesing with results provided directly to BEC.
- (See Specific BEC Fingerprint Requirements below the service provider must include to successfully submit your fingerprints.)
- Payment must be made directly to the selected Livescan Service Provider.
- Do NOT submit payment for fingerprint processing to the Bureau of Educator Certification (BEC).
Specific BEC Fingerprint Requirements
- BEC authorized under §1012.56, Florida Statutes
- ORI = FL921620Z DOE/TEACHER/CERTIFICATION
- Originating Agency Case # (OCA) = Florida DOE #
- Social Security Number (SOC) Mandatory for BEC
- Date of Birth (DOB) must match BEC records
- Poor quality may be rejected and delay processing
BEC Contact Information
Phone: 800-445-6739 (inside U.S.) or 850-245-5049 (outside U.S.)
Hours or Operation: Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM (EST)