Specialization Requirements for Elementary Education (Grades K-6) - Academic Class.
(1) Plan One. A bachelor's or higher degree with a major in elementary education which includes teaching reading at the K-6 level, or
(2) Plan Two. A bachelor's or higher degree with thirty (30) semester hours in elementary education to include the areas specified below:
(a) Courses in teaching reading in grades K-6 to include each of the following:
1. Understanding the reading process and effective reading instruction,
2. Recognition and assessment of reading problems, and
3. Prescription and utilization of appropriate methods and materials to increase reading performance; and
(b) Courses in each of the areas specified below:
1. Content and methods for teaching writing and language arts in grades K-6,
2. Content and methods for teaching science for grades K-6,
3. Content and methods for teaching social science for grades K-6,
4. Content and methods for teaching health education and physical education for grades K-6,
5. Content and methods for teaching art for grades K-6,
6. Content and methods for teaching music for grades K-6,
7. Content and methods for teaching mathematics for grades K-6, and
8. Materials for use in grades K-6 such as children's literature, multi-media materials, library materials, and the computer as an instructional tool.
(3) This rule is to become effective July 1, 2002, and supersedes the provisions of Rules 6A-4.014 and 6A-4.015, FAC., as of that date.
Specific Authority 1001.02, 1012.55, 1012.56 FS. Law Implemented 1001.02, 1012.54, 1012.55, 1012.56 FS. History–New 7-1-02.