Family & Community Engagement
Message to Families
When schools work together with families to support learning, children are inclined to succeed not just in school, but throughout life. The Florida Department of Education recognizes that a child's education is a responsibility shared by schools, families and the community during the entire period a child spends in school.
The following are several suggestions of the many ways families may be involved with their child's education:
- Contact your child's teacher early in the school year and maintain communication throughout the school year.
- Participate in parent/teacher conferences.
- Ask the teacher what your child is learning and how you can support this at home.
- Talk with your child daily about homework, classroom activities and events.
- Learn about school policies and expectations so you can help your child understand them.
- Make efforts to stay informed of school and classroom events.
- Model behaviors and attitudes you expect from your child.
- Encourage and nurture your child's creativity.
- Be proactive in making the school aware of your support for your child's education.
- Talk with your employer about flex time so you can participate in school activities.
- Establish a daily family routine.
- Monitor out of school activities.
- Model the value of learning, self-discipline and hard work.
- Express high, but realistic expectations for achievement.
- Encourage your child's development/progress in school.
- Encourage reading, writing and discussions among family members.
- Be positive when talking with your child about school related activities.
- Parental Involvement Video
- Family and School Partnership for Student Achievement Act
- Florida KidCare
- Florida’s Multi-Tiered System of Supports
- National Network of Partnership Schools
- School Choice
- School Choice Resources
- The Florida Parent Involvement Resource Center of Family Network on Disabilities
- University of Illinois Extension: Parental Involvement in School
Bonita Hampton, Director, Family & Community Engagement