Birth Through Two Years
DefinitionA prekindergarten child with disabilities is a child who is below five (5) years of age on or before September 1 and has a sensory, physical, mental, or emotional condition which significantly affects the attainment of normal developmental milestones.
Developmentally Delayed (DD): Ages Birth through TwoA child who is developmentally delayed is defined as a child from birth through two years of age who has a delay in one (1) or more of the following areas:
- Adaptive or self help development;
- Cognitive development;
- Communication development;
- Social/emotional development;
- Physical/motor development
Established Conditions (EC): Ages Birth through Two YearsA child with an established condition is defined as a child from birth through two (2) years of age with a diagnosed physical or mental condition known to have a high probability of resulting in developmental delay or disability. Such conditions shall include genetic disorders, metabolic disorders, neurological abnormalities and insults, or severe attachment disorder.
These definitions are found in State Board of Education Rules 6A-6.03031, F.A.C. and 6A-6.03030, F.A.C.
- Early Steps Liaison: Carole West, ·
- Local Early Steps Contacts (PDF)
State Laws and RegulationsThe rules referenced below are specific to serving children, birth through age two with developmental delays or an established condition (s). Please refer to Volume I-B: Florida Statutes and State Board of Education Rules, Excerpts Related to Exceptional Student Education (PDF, 9MB) for a complete listing of laws and regulations applicable to exceptional student education.
- 6A-6.03030, F.A.C.: Special Programs for Children Birth Through Two years Old who have Established Conditions
- 6A-6.03031, F.A.C.: Special Programs for Children Birth Through Two Years Old who are Developmentally Delayed
Department of Education Resources
- Getting To Know Me (Word)
- Transition Booklet for Families (8.5 x 11) (RTF, 9MB)
- Transition Booklet for Families (folded booklet style) (PDF, 483KB)
- Early Steps Policy Handbook and Operations Guide
- Technical Assistance Paper DPS: 2012-24 - School District or Charter School Provision of Early Intervention Services to Children with Disabilities, Birth through Age Two, and Their Families (PDF)
- Technical Assistance Paper K12: 2007-160 - Transition from Early Steps to the School District Prekindergarten Program for Children with Disabilities or Other Programs (PDF, 148KB)
- Florida’s Technical Assistance and Training System (TATS)
- Florida’s Transition Project
- State Tuition Support
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Learn the Signs. Act Early
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- National Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center (NECTAC)
- Zero to Three/National Center for Infants, Toddlers and Families
- National Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center (NECTAC): Transition