Ages Three Through Five
DefinitionA prekindergarten child with disabilities is a child who is below five (5) years of age on or before September 1 and has a sensory, physical, mental, or emotional condition which significantly affects the attainment of normal developmental milestones.
Developmentally Delayed (DD): Ages Three through Five YearsA child who is developmentally delayed is three (3) through five (5) years of age and is delayed in one (1) or more of the following areas:
- Adaptive or self-help development,
- Cognitive development,
- Communication development,
- Social or emotional development,
- Physical development including fine, or gross, or perceptual motor.
This definition is found in State Board of Education Rule 6A-6.03026, F.A.C.
- Prekindergarten Disability Program Specialist: Janie Register, ·
- District Prekindergarten Disability Contacts
State Laws and RegulationsThe rules referenced below are specific to Prekindergarten Children with Disabilities and Children Three through Five who are Developmentally Delayed. Please refer to Volume I-B: Florida Statutes and State Board of Education Rules, Excerpts Related to Exceptional Student Education (PDF, 9MB) for a complete listing of laws and regulations applicable to exceptional student education.
- 6A-6.03026 Special Programs for Prekindergarten Children with Disabilities
- 6A-6.03027 Special Programs for Children Three Through Five Years Old who are Developmentally Delayed.
Department of Education Resources
- Prekindergarten Children with Disabilities Expanding Opportunities for Providing Services: A Guide for Making System and Program Level Decisions (PDF, 2MB)
- Technical Assistance Paper K12: 2007-160 - Transition from Early Steps to the School District Prekindergarten Program for Children with Disabilities or Other Programs (PDF, 148KB)
- Florida’s Technical Assistance and Training System (TATS)
- Florida’s Transition Project
- PreK Disabilities Tuition Support Program
- Florida Directory of Early Childhood Services
- Florida Department of Education: Early Learning/Prekindergarten
- Florida’s Early Steps
- Florida Diagnostic and Learning Resources System-Child Find
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Learn the Signs. Act Early
- Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center (ECTA)
- Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center (ECTA)- Transition
- National Professional Development Center on Inclusion (NPDCI)
- Technical Assistance Center on Social Emotional Intervention (TACSEI)