Ages Three Through Five
DefinitionA prekindergarten child with disabilities is a child who is below five (5) years of age on or before September 1 and has a sensory, physical, mental, or emotional condition which significantly affects the attainment of normal developmental milestones.
Developmentally Delayed (DD): Ages Three through Five YearsA child who is developmentally delayed is three (3) through five (5) years of age and is delayed in one (1) or more of the following areas:
- Adaptive or self-help development,
- Cognitive development,
- Communication development,
- Social or emotional development,
- Physical development including fine, or gross, or perceptual motor.
This definition is found in State Board of Education Rule 6A-6.03027, F.A.C.
State Laws and Regulations
The rules referenced below are specific to Prekindergarten Children with Disabilities and Children Three through Five who are Developmentally Delayed. Please refer to Florida Statutes and State Board of Education Rules (Red book) - Hyperlinked Index (PDF) for a complete listing of laws and regulations applicable to exceptional student education.
- 6A-6.03026, F.A.C., Eligibility Criteria for Prekindergarten Children with Disabilities
- 6A-6.03027, F.A.C., Special Programs for Children Three Through Five Years Old who are Developmentally Delayed
Department of Education Resources
- Exceptional Student Education - Prekindergarten (PRE-K) Disabilities Endorsement Memorandum
- Prekindergarten Children with Disabilities Expanding Opportunities for Providing Services: A Guide for Making System and Program Level Decisions (PDF)
- Technical Assistance Paper DPS: 2018-33 - Transition from Early Steps to the School District Prekindergarten Program for Children with Disabilities or Other Community Programs (PDF)
- Technical Assistance Paper, DPS: 2013-117 - Exceptional Student Education Eligibility for Infants, Toddlers and Prekindergarten Children
- Technical Assistance Paper, DPS: 2015-152 Evaluation, Determination of Eligibility, Reevaluation and the Provision of Exceptional Education Services
- Welcome to the World: An Overview of Your Growing Child (PDF)
- Florida’s Technical Assistance and Training System (TATS)
- Florida’s Transition Project
- PreK Disabilities Tuition Support Program
- Florida Department of Education: Early Learning/Prekindergarten
- Florida’s Early Steps
- Florida Diagnostic and Learning Resources System-Child Find
- For Parents: The FDLRS Child Find has created a video that helps parents determine when it is appropriate to schedule a screening due to developmental concerns. Please view the video here: http://www.fdlrs.org/child-find.html.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Learn the Signs. Act Early
- Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center (ECTA)
- Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center (ECTA)- Transition
- National Professional Development Center on Inclusion (NPDCI)
- Technical Assistance Center on Social Emotional Intervention (TACSEI)