Math and Science
The Bureau of Standards and Instructional Support works collaboratively with the Division of Career and Technical Education (CTE) and the Bureau of School Improvement (BSI) to define research-based state education policy and programs for the state of Florida and increase student knowledge and performance in STEM related content areas.
Mathematics Florida Standards were approved by the Florida State Board of Education on February 18, 2014. In response to public concerns about these standards, the Florida Department of Education (FDOE) in the Fall of 2013 opened three channels for the public to provide input to policy makers. First, three public meetings were held throughout the state at which attendees had the opportunity to communicate support for the standards as well as concerns about the standards. Second, a website was posted that presented information about the new standards, links to the proposed standards, transcripts of the public meetings, and other resources. A form was provided on the website for public input. Third, an email address was created for individuals to send their comments directly to the FDOE. Based on the results of the public comment, in January of 2014, the Department recommended that changes be made to the original Common Core State Standards adopted in July 2010. These standards are to be fully implemented in the 2014-15 school year and thereafter.
- 2014 Mathematics Florida Standards (PDF, 1MB)
- 2010 Next Generation Sunshine State Standards (Florida Standards) Mathematics
- 2007 Mathematics Next Generation Sunshine State Standards (PDF, 2MB)
The Next Generation Sunshine State Standards for Science were adopted by the Florida State Board of Education in February 2008.
- Environmental Initiatives
- Florida Association of Mathematics Supervisors (FAMS) and Florida Council of Teachers of Mathematics (FCTM)
- Florida Association of Science Supervisors (FASS) and Florida Association of Science Teachers (FAST)
- Grants, Competitions, and other Funding OpportunitiesMathematics Resources
- Podcasts, Vodcasts, Online meeting archives and NotesPresidential Awards for Excellence
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Safety in Science
- Science Resources
- Student Competitions and Opportunities
- Sunshine State Scholars Program
- What is STEM?
Dr. Jonathan P. Keener Director, STEM Programs
325 West Gaines Street, Suite 432
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400
Mathematics Education Program Specialist
K-5 Mathematics and Science Education Program Specialist