Exceptional Student Education
The Bureau of Exceptional Education and Student Services administers programs for students with disabilities. Additionally, the bureau coordinates student services throughout the state and participates in multiple inter-agency efforts designed to strengthen the quality and variety of services available to students with special needs.
The mission of exceptional student education in Florida, a committed alliance for the development of the unique gifts of each exceptional person, is to ensure the achievement of each and every individual's extraordinary purpose by expanding opportunities through collaboration of families, professionals, and communities who guarantee the highest expectations and individual success.
New! For easier site navigation, please make use of our new BEESS Website Map (PDF).
Topics of Special Interest
- FFY 2013 Part B State Performance Plan (SPP)/Annual Performance Report (APR)
- New! Accommodations for Florida’s Statewide Student Assessments (PDF)
- Annual State Application for IDEA, Part B - FY 2015
- Florida Statutes and State Board of Education Rules (Red book) - Hyperlinked Index
- Senate Bill 850 and Educational Services in Juvenile Justice Programs
- Annual State Application under Part B - Federal FY 2014 (PDF)
- Procedural Safeguards
- DPS: 2103-105: 2013 Legislation - Senate Bill 1108 (PDF)
- IDEA 2004
- Federal Register / Vol. 73, No. 231 / Monday, December 1, 2008 / Rules and Regulations (PDF)
Child Abuse Prevention in Florida Public SchoolsObjectives related to child abuse prevention in Florida public schools are a function of the Child Abuse Prevention and Permanency (CAPP) Advisory Council. These activities are part of a collaborative plan of action pertaining to the prevention of child abuse, abandonment and neglect. For additional resources please see the Child Abuse Prevention page.
- Child Abuse Prevention Sourcebook for Florida School Personnel: A Tool for Reporting Abuse and Supporting the Child - (PDF)
Please note that the bureau updated its public records request policy to require a fee of 15 cents per one-sided page for more than 50 pages and 20 cents per two-sided page for more than 30 pages.