Florida defines gifted students as students who have superior intellectual development and are capable of high performance. Each school district serves gifted students through local plans that provide academic and social emotional support. The links below provide more information regarding statutes and rules that regulate identification and services for gifted students, as well as resources, publications and other supporting information for teachers, administrators, parents, students and community members.
- For state gifted education compliance questions, please contact the Bureau of Exceptional Education student Services at 850-245-0475.
- For questions and information about gifted programs and support, please visit the Gifted Education Programs page within the Bureau of Standards and Instructional Support.
State Laws and Regulations
- Florida Statutes and State Board of Education Rules (Red Book) - Hyperlinked Index (PDF)
- Special Instructional Programs for Students Who Are Gifted (identification)
- Development of Educational Plans for Exceptional Students who are Gifted (scroll down)
- Specialization Requirements for the Gifted Endorsement
- Eligible Special Programs for Exceptional Students
- 6A-6.03313, F.A.C., Procedural Safeguards for Exceptional Students who are Gifted
- 6A-6.03313, F.A.C., Procedural Safeguards for Exceptional Students who are Gifted - Spanish (PDF)
- Florida Plan for K-12 Gifted Education (PDF)
- What is Exceptional Student Education for Children Who Are Gifted? - 2017 (PDF)
- ¿Qué es la Educación de Estudiantes Excepcionales para los Niños Dotados? 2017 - Spanish (PDF)
Technical Assistance Papers
- Development of EPs for Students Who Are Gifted (PDF)
- Secondary Students who are Gifted (PDF)
- Assessing Limited English Proficient (LEP) Students for Eligibility for Gifted Programs (PDF)
- Nonverbal Tests of Intelligence (PDF)
- Use of Part Scores of Intelligence (PDF)
- Acceleration Options (ACCEL) in Public Education (PDF)