2015 Rule Development
NEW: 2014-2015 Informational Baseline School and District Grades
On January 6, 2016, the State Board of Education adopted revisions to the school grades rule (6A-1.09981, F.A.C.), which establishes the grading formula. Simulated school grades were published as part of the rule development process (memo). Three public rule development workshops were held on October 27, 28 and 29, 2015, and covered the following rules:
- 6A-1.09981, Implementation of Florida's System of School Improvement and Accountability
- Revision of the rule to conform to statutory changes by creating a new school grades calculation model for all schools and a new district grades model for all districts.
- 6A-1.099812, Education Accountability for Department of Juvenile Justice Education Programs
- Fulfilling requirements under Section 1003.52(16)(d), Florida Statutes, to adopt rules that establish a performance rating system based on student performance measures, identifying both low- and high-performing juvenile justice education programs.
- 6A-1.099822, School Improvement Rating for Alternative Schools
- Revision of the rule to conform to statutory changes and create a new school improvement rating calculation and categories for alternative schools and ESE center schools.
The revisions are designed to implement requirements of Florida statutes amended by legislation passed in 2014, including updates to s. 1008.34, F.S., s. 1008.341, F.S., and s. 1003.52, F.S. The PowerPoint presentation and feedback forms for the workshops held October 27, 28 and 29, 2015, are included below. The department received nearly 1,000 comments from district staff, educators, parents and members of the public, which were considered in the rule development process.
- Feedback Form: School Grades Rule Development Workshop (Word)
- Feedback Form: Juvenile Justice Education Programs Rule Development Workshop (Word)
- Feedback Form: School Improvement Rating Rule Development Workshop (Word)
Rule Development Workshop Presentation (PPT)
- This presentation was created and used for rule development purposes and is not reflective of the final, approved version of Rule 6A-1.09981, F.A.C.
- Accountability Rules Workshop - October 29, 2015, Webinar (WMV)
2013 Rule Development
Rule development workshops were held on August 13, 2013, to address proposed changes to the following Florida Administrative Code (FAC) rules:
- 6A-1.09981(school grades)
- Revise percent-tested calculation to comply with ESEA requirements.
- Change cell-size requirement to 10 (statutory requirement, SB 1720).
- Add criteria for grading co-located schools (required by SB 1720).
- Extend one-letter-grade-drop protection through 2014-15.
- Clarify full-year-enrollment status.
- 6A-1.099822 (school improvement ratings)
- Revise the percent tested requirement to 80% (SB 1720).
- Cap ratings for schools testing less than 90% at "maintaining" (SB 1720).
- Include high school retake scores in calculations (SB 1720).
- 6A-1.099828 (new rule on accountability for ESE centers required by SB 1108)
- Define ESE centers.
- Implement accountability requirements for ESE centers.
The revisions are designed to implement requirements of Florida statutes amended by legislation passed in 2013, including updates to s. 1008.34, F.S. (school grades) and s. 1008.341, F.S. (school improvement ratings), as well as the creation of s. 1008.3415, F.S. (accountability for ESE centers). Proposed rule changes for school grades also include a revision of the participation rate calculation to comply with the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) and extension of the one-letter-grade-drop limit as a continued measure to ease Florida's transition to Common Core in accountability systems. PowerPoint presentations and feedback forms for each of the workshops held on August 13, 2013, are included below.
Feedback Form: School Grades Rule Development Workshop (Word)
- Workshop Presentation for Rule 6A-1.09981 (PowerPoint)
Feedback Form: School Improvement Rating Rule Development Workshop (Word)
- Workshop Presentation for Rule 6A-1.099822 (PowerPoint)
Feedback Form: ESE Centers Accountability Rule Development Workshop (Word)
- Workshop Presentation for Rule 6A-1.099828 (PowerPoint)
- More information on State Board Rules Under Review
Additional Information and ResourcesMore information on Florida's ESEA waiver application can be found here.
For more information on changes to the rule that the Board has recently considered, visit State Board of Education Meeting Schedule and click on the links for meeting materials. The meeting materials include proposed rule amendments.
The updated rules will be posted on the Florida Administrative Weekly website.