Just Read, Florida!
Just Read, Florida! is the statewide reading initiative that prioritizes reading in Florida's public schools and among all the community groups and volunteer organizations that support them. Just Read, Florida! is based on the latest reading research that includes emphasis on phonemic awareness (knowing that words are made up of sounds), phonics (the link between sounds and letters), vocabulary (what words mean and how to say them), fluency (the ability to read words accurately and quickly), and comprehension (the ability to understand what you read).
2015 Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida!
Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida is an annual event during which students, teachers, administrators, parents and volunteers all celebrate the tremendous success Florida's students have accomplished over the past decade. To learn more visit, 2015 Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida!
Congratulations to the 2015 Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida! PSA Contest Winners
1st Place: Cambridge Elementary School, Brevard County
2nd Place: Ketterlinus Elementary School, St. John’s County
3rd Place: Forest City Elementary School, Seminole County
1st Place: Explorer K-8 School, Hernando County
2nd Place: Dunnellon Middle School, Marion County
3rd Place: Baker Middle School, Okaloosa County
1st Place: Choice High School, Okaloosa County
2nd Place: Marianna High School, Jackson County
3rd Place: Niceville High School, Okaloosa County
Just Read, Florida! is pleased to announce the winners of the 2015 Early Childhood Cozy Corner Reading Nook Photo Contest.
Each winner will receive a gift baskets filled with books and classroom surprises provided by the Just Read, Florida! office.
1st place and the winner of a gift basket valued at $300
Buttons and Bows Preschool in Hollywood, FL
2nd place and the winner of a gift basket valued at $200
Global Learning Child Development Center, Lake Worth, FL
3rd place and the winner of a gift basket valued at $100
Global Learning of Stuart, Stuart FL
New! Florida Assessments for Instruction in Reading - Florida Standards
Registration for the Florida Assessments for Instruction in Reading aligned to Florida Standards (FAIR-FS) on the Progress Monitoring and Reporting Network version (PMRN v4) is now open!.
The Progress Monitoring and Reporting Network (PMRNv4) is a web-based data management system for recording and reporting student data from the Florida Assessment for Instruction in Reading (FAIR-FS) test. The primary function of PMRN is to provide easily accessible and reliable information to Florida educators about their students' progress in learning to read.
- New! - Superintendent, District Personnel, and Principal SSO/PMRN Access
- Progress Monitoring and Reporting Network v4.0
- Florida Assessments for Instruction in Reading v 4.0 (FAIR-FS) and Florida Kindergarten Readiness Screener (FLKRS)
- Florida Assessments for Instruction in Reading v3.0 (Classic) (2009-July 2014
Florida Statutes and State Board Rules that Provide Authority for Just Read, Florida!
1011.62, Florida Statutes
- State Board Rule 6A-6.053 K-12 Comprehensive Research-Based Reading Plan (PDF Amended 4-21-11
- State Board Rule 6A-6.054 K-12 Student Reading Intervention Requirements (PDF) Amended 4-16-13
- State Board Rule 6A-4.0163 Reading Endorsement Competencies (PDF) Amended 10-25-2011
- State Board Rule 6A-5.090 Content Area Reading Professional Development and Next Generation Content Area Professional Development (PDF) Amended 4-21-11
- 1008.25, Florida Statutes
- New! Language Arts Florida Standards Quick Reference Guide (PDF)
- 2014 Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida! PSA Contest Winners
- Announcing the Just Read, Florida! 2013 Literacy Leaders
- Secondary Reading Placement Chart (PDF) Revised 2013-14
- Literacy League: Podcasts Now Available
- New Reading Endorsement
- Recently Revised State Board Rules
- Read to Learn booklet for parents of Florida’s third grade students (PDF)
- Third Grade Progression Technical Assistance Paper (PDF)
- 2014 Hispanic Heritage Month Recommended Reading List
Florida Assessments for Instruction in Reading - Florida StandardsRegistration for the Florida Assessments for Instruction in Reading aligned to Florida Standards (FAIR-FS) on the Progress Monitoring and Reporting Network version 3 (PMRN v3) is currently closed. The PMRN v4 will reopen on August 15, 2014.
Language Arts Florida StandardsThe current Language Arts Florida Standards were approved by the State Board on February 18, 2014. The standards may be viewed at http://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse.php/7539/urlt/lafs.pdf (PDF). These standards include the amended changes. Please note that the grouping of rows about the same standard are separated by solid black lines.
If you have trouble accessing these files please contact the Office of Communications at 850-245-0413 or .
- Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida! PSA Contest Information (PDF, 149KB)
- Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida! PSA Contest Entry and Release Form (RTF, 281KB)
- For Teens, by Teens
- Sunshine State Young Reader's Award Program
- Parent Resources
- Read to Learn (PDF)
- FCAT Explorer
- Beginning Reading: Practical Ideas for Parents (PDF)
- Promote Literacy Skills
- No Child Left Behind: A Parents Guide
- Reading Requirements for Students with Disabilities (PDF)
- Information about Career And Technical Education Reading (CATER) (PDF)
- Reading Endorsement
- Summer Reading Camps
- Literacy Essentials and Reading Network (LEaRN)
- Just Read, Florida! Paperless Memos
- State Board Rules
- Elementary Resources
- Secondary Resources
- Professional Development Resources
- Studies and Research
- Striving Readers State Literacy Plan (PDF)
- International Reading Association
- Florida Association for Media in Education
- Florida Center for Reading Research (FCRR)
- Florida Reading Association (FRA)
- Secondary Reading Council of Florida
- Florida Reading Initiative (FRI)
- Florida Literacy Coaches Association
- Florida Book Awards
325 West Gaines Street, Suite 1432 · Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400 · Phone: 850-245-0503 · Fax: 850-245-9530 ·