THE SOURCE: A Curriculum Guide for Reading Mentors (PDF)
Whether reading mentors or classroom teachers, this curriculum is a great guide that includes an overview of current reading research and weekly lessons for intermediate struggling readers.
Florida Literacy Coalition
Serves as the umbrella organization for all literacy providers in the state, serving agencies such as libraries, adult education providers that operate through the public school systems and community colleges, corrections-based providers, and the community-based organizations that use volunteers as their workforce.
5 Ways Your Business Can Help Children Excel in Reading
- Adopt a classroom to improve reading. Employees can really see the results firsthand.
- Create a program to encourage students to read. Provide incentives to encourage students to pick up a book and discover the joy of reading.
- Sponsor a book collection drive. Show students the lasting value of books by gathering donations for area schools and libraries.
- Encourage students to become authors! Have your company display students’ creative efforts on bulletin boards, in your newsletters and on the company website.
- Read out loud to elementary students. Encourage discussion by exchanging thoughts and ideas.
Here's what other corporations have done to promote reading:
- Florida Lottery - sponsor of the 2014 Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida! Portable Planetarium tour.
- National Geographic-Cengage - sponsor of the 2014 Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida! Portable Planetarium tour.
If your company would like to support Just Read, Florida!'s efforts, please call 850-245-0503.
325 West Gaines Street, Suite 1432 · Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400 · Phone: 850-245-0503 · Fax: 850-245-5105 · JustRead@fldoe.org