Section 1002.01, Florida Statutes (F.S.), defines home education as the sequentially progressive instruction of a student directed by his or her parent or guardian in order to satisfy Florida's compulsory education requirements.
Florida Statute 1002.41 specifies the responsibilities of parents who establish a home education program.
- Send a written notice of intent to the school district superintendent. The notice must be filed within 30 days of beginning the
home education program and must include the following information:
- Name of the home education student(s)
- Parent's signature
- Maintain a portfolio of educational records. Statute defines a portfolio as
- A log of educational activities which is made contemporaneously with the instruction and which designates by title any reading materials used, and
- samples of any writings, worksheets, workbooks or creative materials used or developed by the student.
- Make the portfolio available for inspection by the superintendent upon 15-day written notice (The statute does not require the superintendent to inspect all portfolios).
- Provide an annual educational evaluation of the student's educational progress to the superintendent. The evaluation must consist
of one of the following:
- A Florida certified teacher chosen by the parent may evaluate the child's progress based on a review of the portfolio and discussion with the student.
- The student may take any nationally-normed student achievement test administered by a certified teacher.
- The student may take a state student assessment test at a location and under testing conditions approved by the school district.
- The student maybe evaluated by a psychologist holding a valid, active license pursuant to section 490.003 (7) or (8), F.S.
- The student may be evaluated with any other valid measurement tool as mutually agreed upon by the parent and the superintendent.
- Preserve each student's portfolio for two years.
- Submit a letter of termination and annual evaluation to the school district superintendent upon completion of the home education program, enrollment in a public or private school or moving from the district.