Tobacco (TBC) - Level IV
The possession, use, distribution, or sale of tobacco or nicotine products on school grounds, at school-sponsored events, or on school transportation by any person under the age of 18.
- A student under 18 possessing and/or smoking cigarettes.
- A student under 18 possessing and/or smoking electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes, hookah pens, etc.).
- A student using smokeless tobacco.
- An 18-year-old student smoking a cigar on campus.
Although e-cigarettes do not contain tobacco, they do contain nicotine and should be reported as a SESIR tobacco incident.
Tobacco incidents should be coded as "Reported to Law Enforcement" any time a civil citation is written, whether it is by a law enforcement officer or the "designee." (See Section 569.12, Florida Statutes).
Although district codes of student conduct may make it against the district code for students age 18 and older to be smoking on school campus, it still is not in violation of the state statute and should not be reported in SESIR.
- 386.212 Smoking prohibited near school property...
- 569.101 Selling...or giving tobacco products to persons under 8 years of age...
- 569.11 Possession...and purchase of tobacco products by persons under 18 years of age...
Office of Safe Schools 325 West Gaines Street, Room 554 Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400
Phone: (850) 245-0416
Fax: (850) 245-9978