Comprehensive Health Education
"The first wealth is health." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Comprehensive Health Education
Health Education provides students with the knowledge and skills they need to be healthy throughout their lifetime. The intent of a comprehensive health education program is to motivate students to maintain and improve their health, prevent disease, and avoid or reduce health related risk behaviors.
Comprehensive health education addresses 12 component areas under Florida State Statute 1003.42 (2)(n) - Required Instruction
- Community health
- Consumer health
- Environmental health
- Family life
- Injury prevention and safety
- Internet safety
- Mental and emotional health
- Personal health
- Prevention and control of disease
- Substance use and abuse
- Teen dating violence
Health Education Toolkits
- Elementary Comprehensive Health Education Toolkit (PDF)
- Secondary Comprehensive Health Education Toolkit (PDF)
Florida Standards for Health Education
The Florida Standards for Health Education are based upon established health behavior theories, models, and evidence-based research, as well as "best practices." The revised NGSSS for Health Education yielded the reformatted eight standards in K-12 progression and adopted the following corresponding National Health Education Skills and corresponding standards:
- Core Concepts- Comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention to enhance health.
- Internal and External Influence- Analyze the influence of family, peers, culture, media, technology, and other factors on health behaviors.
- Accessing Information- Demonstrate the ability to access valid health information, products, and services to enhance health.
- Interpersonal Communication- Demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal-communication skills to enhance health and avoid or reduce health risks.
- Decision Making- Demonstrate the ability to use decision-making skills to enhance health.
- Goal Setting- Demonstrate the ability to use goal-setting skills to enhance health.
- Self-Management- Demonstrate the ability to practice advocacy, health-enhancing behaviors, and avoidance or reduction of health risks for oneself.
- Advocacy- Demonstrate the ability to advocate for individual, peer, school, family, and community health.
The standards are structured by Standards and Benchmarks. The Standard is a general statement that identifies what the student is expected to achieve. The Benchmark identifies what the student will know and be able to do at the end of each of the grade.
Health Education Topics (Risk Behaviors of Youth)
- Alcohol and Other Drug Use
- HIV/AIDS Prevention, Pregnancy Prevention, and Human Sexuality Education
- Injury and Accident Prevention
- Physical Activity
- Tobacco Use
School Health Profiles Report
- Florida State Statute 1003.41 - Sunshine State Standards
- Florida State Statute 1003.42 (2)(n) - Required Instruction
- Florida State Statute 1003.4282 - General Requirements for High School Graduation; Revised
- Florida State Statute 1003.46 - Health Education; Instruction in Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome
- Florida State Statute 787.06 - Human trafficking
Professional Development and Training Opportunities
- 2018 Florida School Health Association Annual Conference, April 26 - April 28, 2018 at Rosen Centre Hotel, Orlando, Florida
- Florida Statewide Tobacco Prevention Course for Educators
- Healthy Schools Summer Academy website - Academy resources, presentation and follow-up events
Human trafficking is defined under Florida law as the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for labor or services, through the use of force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of subjugation to involuntary servitude, peonage, debt bondage, slavery, or a commercial sex act. Human trafficking is modern slavery.
If you suspect a child is a victim, please call the Florida Abuse Hotline at 1-800-96-ABUSE or 911.
For more information and resources, please visit the FDOE Human Trafficking webpage: http://www.fldoe.org/schools/healthy-schools/human-trafficking.stml