Office of Safe Schools
Office of Safe Schools
|Text Index||Custom Search|
School Environmental Safety Incident Reporting (SESIR)
Drug Use/Possession (DRU) - Level III
Definition:The use or possession of any drug, narcotic, controlled substance, or any substance when used for hallucinogenic purposes.
- Student or other possessing or being under the influence of illegal drugs at school, at school-sponsored events, or on school transportation.
- Student possessing or observed swallowing prescription drugs that are not prescribed for him/her.
- Student found inhaling or ingesting intoxicants, glue, solvents, or aerosols for hallucinogenic purposes.
- Student possessing or using over-the-counter medications in dosage prescribed.
- Student using inhalers for asthmatic condition.
- Student possessing drug paraphernalia (refer to Other Major, OMC).
Districts must also report the Drug-Related Element and the Drug Description (PDF, 29KB) for all drug use/possession incidents. Complete the Drug Description using (M) - Marijuana, (N) - Not a controlled substance, (O) - Other illicit drugs, or (Z) - Not applicable. If the incident involves both (M) and (O), select the description that represents the most serious offense.
Note: Drug Use/Possession incidents must also be reported in the related element "Drug-Related"
Behavioral evidence alone should not be used as a basis for reporting drug use. Although a student giving another an over-the-counter medication may violate school code, it is not reported as a SESIR incident.
Drug paraphernalia should not be reported under Drug Use/Possession. It should be reported only under Other Major Incidents.
If a student admits to using drugs, even if there is no physical evidence, could it qualify as a SESIR incident?
- Yes, this can be considered a SESIR Drug Use/Possession incident, but no arrest could be made (without the physical evidence). Including these incidents in SESIR gives a more accurate picture of drug incidents on campus and resulting disciplinary actions.
- 499.03 Possession of certain drugs without prescriptions unlawful; exemptions and exceptions.
- 877.111 Inhalation, ingestion, possession, sale, purchase, or transfer of harmful chemical substances...
- 893.147 Use, possession, manufacture, delivery, transportation, or advertisement of drug paraphernalia.
325 West Gaines Street, Room 554
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400
Fax: (850) 245-9978