Office of Safe Schools
Office of Safe Schools
- Changing Alcohol Norms (CAN): Florida's Initiative to Lower Youth Drinking - A White Paper (PDF, 311KB)
- Evaluation Manual
- FCAT Practice Materials Using Prevention Concepts
- Florida Safe and Drug-Free Schools State Reports:
- Florida School Indicators Report - Provides data on public elementary, middle, and high schools for each of Florida's 67 school districts.
- Florida Youth Substance Abuse Survey
- Florida Youth Tobacco Survey
- Planning Guide: Achieving Safe, Equitable, Healthy & Drug-Free Schools (PDF, 324KB)
- Safe Schools Appropriation Reports
- School Districts Identify a Variety of Ways to Improve Safety in Schools - The Florida Legislature. Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability
- School Staff Guide to Risk and Resiliency (PDF, 64KB)
- Cover Pages (PDF, 107KB)
- Section 6 (PDF, 31KB)
- Forms (PDF, 11KB)
- SDDFS Notes
- Florida Comprehensive Statewide Tobacco Education and Use Prevention Program Strategic Plan 2010-2015 (PDF)
- Trends in Discipline and the Decline in the Use of Corporal Punishment - March 2011 (Word, 1MB)
- DOH: Bureau of Tobacco Prevention Program
- Conflict Resolution/Peer Mediation (CR/PR) Research Project --This web site is the result of a four-year, federally funded research initiative funded by the Office of Special Education Programs, US Department of Education to study use of conflict resolution and peer mediation in middle schools.
- Early Warning Timely Response (PDF 1.04MB) - A Guide to Safe Schools, August 1998.
- Final Report & Findings of the Safe Schools Initiative: Implications for the prevention of school attacks in the United States (PDF) - This document details how the U.S. Dept. Of Education and the U.S. Secret Service studied school-based attacks and what they found. July 2004.
- Indicators of School Crime and Safety -- U.S. Ed National Center for Education Statistics
- National Survey on Drug Use and Health - Surveys a representative sample of the population on a variety of issues concerning both legal and illicit drugs.
- Preventing School Violence National Institute of Justice Research Forum, May 2000.
- Preventing Youth Hate Crime: A Manual for Schools and Communities - Provides schools and communities with programs and resources that can be used in preventing youth hate crime and hate-motivated behavior.
- Progress in Prevention: Report on the National Study of Local Education Agency Activities under the Safe and Drug Free School and Communities Act (DOC) - The purpose of this study is to provide a more complete description of the ways in which districts nationally accomplish such tasks. The study also provides a baseline for gauging future progress.
- Safeguarding Our Children (PDF) - The guide provides practical steps schools can take to design and implement school safety plans to reduce violence in schools and help children get access to the services they need.
- The Appropriate and Effective Use of Security Technologies in U.S. Schools - This document provides basic guidelines to law enforcement agencies and school administrators and encourages their collaboration as they decide what, if any, security technologies should be considered as they develop safe school strategies. (PDF)
- Threat Assessment in Schools: A Guide to Managing Threatening Situations and to Creating Safe School Climates (PDF) - This document sets forth a process for identifying, assessing and managing students who may pose a threat of targeted violence in schools.
- What You Need to Know About Drug Testing in Schools (PDF, 632KB) - The question of whether to test students for drugs or alcohol involves myriad complex issues that must be fully understood and carefully weighed before testing begins. The Office of National Drug Control Policy has put together this document to shed light and offer perspective on this multifaceted and sometimes controversial topic.
- Youth Risk Behavior Survey - The Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System (YRBSS) monitors six types of health-risk behaviors that contribute to the leading causes of death and disability among youth and adults.
- Prior Knowledge of Potential School-Based Violence: Information Students Learn May Prevent a Targeted Attack (PDF) - This study sought to identify what might be done to encourage more students to share information they learn about potential targeted school-based violence with one or more adults, May 2008
- Guide for Preventing and Responding to School Violence 2nd Edition (PDF) - The purpose of this document is to present different strategies and approaches for member of school communities to consider when creating safer learning environments, 2007.
- Get It Straight! The Facts about Drugs - This online book is designed for students and talks about drugs that exist in many communities and why drugs are harmful. A collaboration effort between the DEA and the Boys and Girls Club of America.
- Above the Influence Activities Tool Kit (PDF) - A toolkit to help implement the Office of National Drug Control Policy's National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign Above the Influence.
- Just Think Twice (PDF) - A Guide To Using the Just Think Twice Website for Middle and High School Students
- Prescription for Disaster: How Teens Abuse Medicine (PDF) - This publication is designed to be a guide to help understand and identity current medications teens are abusing, December 2008.
- National Forum on Education Statistics: Forum guide to Crime, Violence, and Discipline Incident Data
- Crime, Violence, Discipline, and Safety in U.S. Public Schools: Findings from the School Survey on Crime and Safety: 2009-2010 (PDF) - This report presents findings on crime and violence in U.S. public schools from the School Survey on Crime and Safety.