Parents & Family
Parent and Family Engagement (PFE) in Title I, Part A Programs
Parent and Family Engagement (PFE) in a child’s education is a greater predictor of academic success than whether or not that family is affluent or poor. That’s why Title I, Part A program regulations insist on robust parent and family engagement activities at every school where federal funds support effective teaching and engaged learning.
What Is Parent and Family Engagement?
Currently Title I, Part A defines parent involvement as the ...participation of parents in regular, two-way and meaningful communications with school staff that involves the student, addresses learning and engages the family in school activities.
The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) refers to this as Parent and Family Engagement starting in 2017-18.
Why Does Parent and Family Engagement Matter?
Research tells us that students with engaged parents and families, are more likely to:
- Learn to read faster (Exhibit faster rates of literacy acquisition.)
- Have higher grades and test scores.
- Are promoted and take more challenging classes.
- Adapt better to school and have better attendance.
- Have better social skills and behavior.
- Go on to community/technical college or university.
- Bureau of Family & Community Outreach
- Checklist for Student Success (PDF)
- Helping Your Child Learn Series in English and Espanol
- General Homework Tips for Parents (PDF) (Reading and Math) en Espanol (PDF)
- Just for Parents Community