|Text Index||Custom Search|
Press ReleaseMonday, July 16, 2012
DOE Press Office
Florida's Top Parent Involvement Programs Win Statewide HonorsTallahassee, Fla., July 16, 2012 - Florida schools that engage parents at every level of education were honored on Saturday, July 14, at the Florida Parent Teacher Association (PTA) 2012 Conference. The Florida Department of Education Parent Involvement Recognition Program is made possible through a 10-year partnership with the Florida PTA and program sponsor, State Farm Insurance. Through this program, select schools are recognized for developing and supporting parent involvement initiatives in their school community. Florida's parent involvement award program provides an opportunity for schools to share successful ideas statewide and has encouraged replication of programs that promote all levels of parental participation in education.
"Parents play a key role in our education system and I am proud to honor Florida's schools that encourage parental involvement through these incredible programs," said Education Commissioner Gerard Robinson. "We need parent's support to improve student achievement and create the best learning environment for our diverse students. Our state is fortunate to have these exceptional programs that help us reach parents across the state."
School award applications and nominations are submitted by the district's volunteer program director. Award-winning parent involvement programs represent the various facets of family involvement such as learning at home, parenting, nurturing, volunteering, and communicating with the school, policymakers and local advocates.
2012 Parent Involvement Program Winners
- Broward County, Beachside Montessori Village, PAL - Parent Assistance Learning
- Columbia County, Lake City Middle School, ESE Back to School Bash
- Escambia County, R.C. Lipscomb Elementary School, Boys and Girls Reading Night
- Gadsden County, James A. Shanks Middle School, Gadsden Coalition for Change
- Lee County, Lehigh Senior High School Center for the Arts, Back on Track
- Nassau County, Bryceville Elementary School, Cookin' Up Science Family Night
- Osceola County, Cypress Elementary School, "Dare to be Perfect" Attendance Dinner
- Palm Beach County, Okeeheelee Community Middle School, Warrior Dads
- Sarasota County, Brentwood Elementary School, The Giving Tree
- Seminole County, Milwee Middle School, FCAT Games