|Text Index||Custom Search|
Press ReleaseMonday, June 11, 2012
DOE Press Office
Florida Department of Education Kicks Off Summer Institutes Focused on Common Core Standards- Educators gather to learn more about Florida's move to national standards -
Tallahassee, Fla., June 11, 2012 - The Common Core Standards Summer Institutes (CCSSI) hosted by the Florida Department of Education will begin today in Palm Beach Gardens. The institutes will focus on Florida's transition to Common Core Standards in 2013-14, and are designed for school and district educators to benefit from additional planning and training around Common Core Standards.
"The Common Core Standards Summer Institutes provide our educators with the unique opportunity to collaborate with department staff and experts across the state, to ensure that effective training and planning is taking place," said Education Commissioner Gerard Robinson.
Florida has set the pace of transforming public education by increasing state achievement standards and assessments so students continue to learn the fundamentals at a deeper level each academic year. Moving forward to Common Core State Standards, which will be the national standard in 2013-14, is a natural progression for our state and our students.
More than 8,600 teachers, principals, and school district administrators across Florida are scheduled to attend one of the four institutes offered by the department. The goal of the institutes is to provide teachers with a preview of Common Core Standards through lesson demonstrations, technology, and team planning sessions. Participants are expected to
- receive a foundational review of the Common Core State Standards, including introductions to instructional practices for implementation of Common Core for all students K-12;
- develop a plan for successful school-based implementation of the Common Core in all content areas K-12;
- identify a Common Core lead for each school;
- gain an understanding of how Common Core can be integrated into teacher and principal evaluation models, learn where to find resources to customize Common Core for the major evaluation frameworks, and receive guidance on how districts can integrate evidence of Common Core practices into their systems, and;
- recognize how Common Core aligns to college and work expectations.
The CCSSI will take place across Florida this summer. Institutes are scheduled in Orlando (June 18-21), Ft. Lauderdale (June 25-28), and Panama City Beach (July 9-12). The Common Core Standards Summer Institutes agenda is available here: http://www.fldoe.org/schools/pdf/cssagenda6112.pdf (PDF, 101KB).
For more information about the Florida CCSSI, visit http://www.fldoe.org/schools/ccc.asp.
For national Common Core Standards information and resources, visit http://www.corestandards.org/.