|Text Index||Custom Search|
August 24, 2005
Director of Communications
Board of Governors chair names search committee for new chancellor of State University System of Florida
TALLAHASSEE Board of Governors Chair Carolyn K. Roberts today established a committee of seven Board of Governors members to conduct a search for the next chancellor of the State University System of Florida.
The members of the Chancellor Search Committee are:
- Peter S. Rummell of Jacksonville, who will serve as chair.
- Sheila M. McDevitt of Tampa.
- Dr. Zachariah P. Zachariah of Fort Lauderdale.
- Ava L. Parker of Jacksonville.
- John Dasburg of Miami. Dasburg is vice chair of the Board of Governors.
- Dr. Martha Peláez of Miami. Dr. Peláez, a professor at Florida International University, is the faculty representative on the Board of Governors.
- Carolyn K. Roberts of Ocala.
Roberts directed the committee to create a timeline for the search, set qualifications for the position, establish criteria for review of candidates and offer a recommendation to the Board of Governors.
Rummell said the Chancellor Search Committee would meet via telephone conference call at 2 p.m. EDT Thursday, August 25, to discuss the search process.
He also scheduled other times for the committee to meet via conference call, as needed:
- September 1, 3 p.m. EDT.
- September 6, 2 p.m. EDT.
- September 14, 2 p.m. EDT.
- September 21, 1 p.m. EDT.
- September 27, 2 p.m. EDT.
Dial-in numbers for the conference calls will be released later.
Rummell requested that all media inquiries go through Bill Edmonds of the board staff at (850) 245-0466 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Chancellor Search Committee will recommend a candidate to replace Chancellor Debra Austin, who is leaving the chancellor's post to become provost and vice president of academic affairs at Florida A&M University.
The Florida Board of Governors is the constitutional body created by voters in 2002 to oversee Florida's public universities.