Governor Rick Scott has activated the Florida Disaster Fund to support individuals who are impacted by Hurricane Michael. The Florida Disaster Fund helps provide financial support to Florida’s communities in times of disaster. To make a contribution, please visit www.FloridaDisasterFund.org or text DISASTER to 20222 to make a one-time donation of $10.
Following Hurricane Michael, Volunteer Florida has extended the deadline for the 2018 Hispanic Heritage Month contests to 5 p.m. on Friday, October 26, 2018 for all entrants who live in the 35 counties that, per Governor Rick Scott’s Executive Order, are in a State of Emergency. All submissions must indicate that they were received from one of the affected counties. For more information, visit http://www.fldoe.org/newsroom/latest-news/volunteer-florida-extends-deadline-for-2018-hispanic-heritage-month-contests.stml.
The Florida Department of Education (FDOE) is focused on restoring critical education-related infrastructure, monitoring for unmet needs and assisting districts and state colleges in securing necessary supplies. Additionally, many schools in impacted areas, as well as Chipola College and Gulf Coast State College, are without power. FDOE is coordinating with the associated power companies to ensure power is restored to these essential buildings as quickly as safely possible.
This page will be updated with information regarding closures as those announcements are made.
School District Closures
- Bay will reopen no later than the week of November 12.
- Calhoun will reopen for staff Monday, October 29, and for students Thursday, November 1.
- Franklin will reopen Monday, October 22, for staff and Tuesday, October 23, for students.
- Gadsden will reopen Monday, October 22.
- Gulf will reopen Friday, October 19, for staff and Tuesday, October 23, for students.
- Holmes will reopen for staff Thursday, October 18, and for students Monday, October 22.
- Jackson will reopen for staff Friday, October 26, and for students Monday, October 29.
- Liberty plans to reopen Wednesday, October 24, for staff and Monday, October 29 for students.
- Washington will reopen for teachers Tuesday, October 23, and Wednesday, October 24, for students.
State University Closures
- Florida State University’s Panama City Campus will be closed until further notice.
Florida College System Closures
- Chipola College will be closed through Friday (10/19).
- Gulf Coast State College - Some GCSC buildings sustained significant damage - crews are on site to begin the recovery process. The college will not reopen Monday as planned. For up-to-date information on Gulf Coast State College’s status, please visit http://www.gulfcoast.edu/.
- Revisions to Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) Student Reporting (PDF)
- Guidance to School Districts Affected by Hurricane Michael – Student Services (PDF)
Florida Department of Education Meeting Cancellations
- High Impact Teacher Corps – Wednesday (10/10)
- Brian Dassler Leadership Academy Learning Walk – Thursday (10/11)
- FTCE Music K-12 Comps & Skills Validation - Tallahassee, FL - (10/11 – 10/12) - Rescheduled for November 8-9, 2018.
- K-12 Assessment has canceled Grades 5, 6, 9, and 10 ELA Writing Rangefinding (10/8 – 10/11)
- Writing Alignment Study (10/12)
- VR Counselor Training - EPI Center in Clearwater - (10/9 – 10/12)
The following site remains closed:
- Gulf Coast State College
For up-to-date shelter information, please visit the Florida State Emergency Response Team site at https://www.floridadisaster.org/planprepare/shelters/.
Division of Blind Services (DBS) and Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)
The Division of Blind Services (DBS) and Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) offices listed below are closed until further notice. In the meantime, DBS clients are being directed to the Pensacola office (600 University Office Boulevard), and VR staff has provided clients in impacted areas alternative contact information to receive services.
- Bay (DVR & DBS): 2505 West 15th Street, Panama City
- Gadsden (DVR): 305 West Crawford Street, Quincy
- Jackson (DVR): 4743B Highway 90 East, Marianna