Governor Rick Scott has activated the Florida Disaster Fund to support individuals who are impacted by Hurricane Michael. The Florida Disaster Fund helps provide financial support to Florida’s communities in times of disaster. To make a contribution, please visit www.FloridaDisasterFund.org or text DISASTER to 20222 to make a one-time donation of $10.
The Florida Department of Education is in contact with school districts, state colleges and universities for updates and to determine needs before, during and after emergency events. All school districts, colleges and universities are monitoring Hurricane Michael and collaborating with local emergency preparedness officials to make decisions that ensure student and staff safety.
This page will be updated with information regarding closures as those announcements are made.
School District Closures
- Bay will be closed until further notice.
- Calhoun will be closed until further notice.
- Franklin will be closed until further notice.
- Gadsden will be closed until further notice.
- Gulf will be closed until further notice.
- Holmes will reopen Wednesday, October 17.
- Jackson will be closed until further notice.
- Liberty will be closed until further notice.
- Washington will be closed until further notice.
State University Closures
- Florida State University’s Panama City Campus will be closed until further notice.
Florida College System Closures
- Chipola College will be closed through Friday (10/19).
- Gulf Coast State College - Some GCSC buildings sustained significant damage - crews are on site to begin the recovery process. The college will not reopen Monday as planned. For up-to-date information on Gulf Coast State College’s status, please visit http://www.gulfcoast.edu/.
Florida Department of Education Meeting Cancellations
- High Impact Teacher Corps – Wednesday (10/10)
- Brian Dassler Leadership Academy Learning Walk – Thursday (10/11)
- FTCE Music K-12 Comps & Skills Validation - Tallahassee, FL - (10/11 – 10/12)
- K-12 Assessment has canceled Grades 5, 6, 9, and 10 ELA Writing Rangefinding (10/8 – 10/11)
- Writing Alignment Study (10/12)
- VR Counselor Training - EPI Center in Clearwater - (10/9 – 10/12)
For up to date shelter information please visit the Florida State Emergency Response Team site at https://www.floridadisaster.org/planprepare/shelters/.