Return to Normal View

DOE Homepage Students Educators Community Family Administrators and Staff

Florida Department of Education

DOE Home > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


  Frequently Asked Questions  

Text Index Google Custom Search
Expand All Answers

Educational Facilities

All · Budgeting · Planning/Evaluation · Support · Training/Research/Plan Review


1. What sources of funds may a district use if it needs a new school?
2. Generally, what sources of funding can we use without a survey recommendation?
3. Is it permissible for districts to purchase portable classrooms from 2 mill funds?
4. Can a district build relocatable classrooms with 2 mill funding given that they have properly advertised the project?; and Can a district build relocatable classrooms with PECO funding given a recommendation exists in the educational plant survey?
5. Is there a limit on how much of the levied 2 mill funds a district can bond?
6. Can the 2 mill equivalent appropriation for university developmental research schools be used for the purpose of a lease or lease-purchase arrangement?
7. What are the approximate student stations recommended for typical growing districts that are adding schools?
8. What is the approximate construction period for educational facilities?
9. When is the Cost per Student Station updated?
10. What does PECO mean?
11. Can PECO funds be used for debt service?
12. If funds are requested to be encumbered for a project and an education agency has revised its funding program for projects, can the agency request that an encumbrance be unauthorized?
13. If an agency submits an executed OEF Form 352 or OEF Form 442 via fax, is it necessary to follow up with an original copy of the relevant form?
14. How far in advance of executing a contract should an encumbrance authorization request be submitted?
15. How soon after submitting an encumbrance authorization request can a disbursement request be submitted?
16. On the OEF Form 442 for cash disbursement requests, how is the amount of the cash disbursement calculated?
17. On the OEF Form 442 for cash disbursement requests, how is Cash on Hand calculated?
18. When will the education agency receive the requested cash disbursement?
19. Who is authorized to sign an encumbrance authorization request?
20. What are the necessary procedures to follow for universities to receive funds for fixed capital outlay project appropriations that were approved by the Legislature?
21. For what type of projects does the Constitution of the State of Florida authorize expenditure of CO&DS funds?
22. What restrictions does the constitution place on the expenditure of CO&DS funds?
23. Section 2.1(5)(e)1.b of SREF states, “During any fiscal year, a board has the authority to encumber up to twenty (20) percent of its current entitlement of CO&DS funds for equipment for existing satisfactory facilities.” Does this mean that if a district receives $150,000 in CO&DS funds it can only use $30,000 for equipment? Also, do Priority A projects have to be done before Priority B projects?
24. To receive funding pursuant to the Classrooms for Kids Program, do projects have to appear in the educational plant survey?
25. When will I receive my Charter School Capital Outlay distribution?
26. Can Classrooms for Kids funds be used for furniture and equipment costs, along with construction costs?
27. I have the same amount of students as last month, but my monthly charter school capital outlay payment decreased. Why is that?
28. Can charter school capital outlay funds be used to purchase furniture, fixtures, and equipment for a new school?
29. Can I buy a bus with my charter school capital outlay?
30. Can I buy computers with my charter school capital outlay?
31. When is the Charter School Capital Outlay Plan due?
32. When are the 5-year Workplans due?
33. Where can funding information and forms be located on the web?


1. Why do the Superintendent and Board Chair have to annually certify the accuracy of the district’s inventory of facilities (FISH)?


1. When and where are the SREF courses going to be offered?
2. Are there any fees for the SREF course?
3. Am I eligible to take the SREF course if I don't have a professional license (i.e., for a contractor, building inspector, architect or engineer)?
4. If my license already expired, can I still get credit (continuing education hours) for taking the SREF course?
5. Can a student take the SREF course if they never held a professional license?
6. How may someone obtain a copy of SREF (State Requirements for Educational Facilities)?
7. What is the current edition of SREF?
8. How may I obtain copies of OEF Forms?

Training/Research/Plan Review

1. Who is the contact for mechanical issues on new construction, additions, remodeling, and renovations?
2. (Mechanical) When is a life cycle cost analysis (LCCA) required?
3. (Mechanical) Are there instructions for completing the Life Cycle Cost Data Summary Sheets?
4. (Mechanical) Are gas-fired water heaters considered boilers?
5. (Mechanical) Can gas piping be installed in or above a corridor if it is encased in a conduit or a one (1) hour rated horizontal chase?
6. (Mechanical) Can purveyor (city/municipal) water and sewer systems provided with emergency power be considered support systems for enhanced hurricane protection area (EHPA) toilet rooms?
7. Who is the contact for electrical issues on new construction, additions, remodeling, and renovations?
8. (Electrical) What provisions must be made available when a second party is suppling the generator for the operation of an EHPA during an emergency?
9. (Electrical) How do you determine the number of spare breakers required in a panel to meet the spare requirement of FBC 423.17.3, Spare Capacity?
10. (Electrical) What is the difference between an "Emergency Shut-Off Switch" and an "Emergency Disconnect" as described in FBC 423.17.4 and .5 respectively?
11. (Electrical) Can a Fire Alarm Annunciator Panel be installed in the EHPA Manager's Office instead of the Control Panel?
12. Who is the contact for additional information on existing buildings?
13. (Existing Buildings) What is the current firesafety standard for inspection of existing public schools?
14. (Existing Buildings) What standard is to be used for existing private schools including charter schools on private property?
15. (Existing Buildings) Is the school district required to perform annual inspections of all charter schools and likewise is the local fire department?
16. (Existing Buildings) Is there still an SREF Chapter 5 for existing schools?
17. (Existing Buildings) What is the correct form for districts to use for annual safety inspections?
18. (Existing Buildings) Are two annual firesafety inspections required?
19. What is the current edition of SREF?

20. Who is the contact for additional information on environmental issues?
    Contact: Darrell Phillips
Phone: 850-245-0494

21. (Environmental) Can DOE provide technical assistance with environmental concerns?
22. (Environmental) Do charter schools have to comply with federal asbestos laws?
23. (Environmental) What information must be on chemical containers stored at schools?
24. (Environmental) Does DOE have a recommendation on the thermostat setting for classrooms?
25. (Environmental) What is DOE's opinion of pets in a classroom?
26. Who is the contact for additional information on maintenance and operations issues?
27. (Maintenance and Operations) Where can I obtain a copy of the Utility and Maintenance and Operations Reports?
28. (Maintenance and Operations) Are school districts and community colleges subject to OSHA requirements?
29. (Maintenance and Operations) Is training required by OSHA standards available?
30. (Maintenance and Operations) Where can I find an overview of OSHA training requirements and standards?
31. (Maintenance and Operations) Is custodial training available from the Office of Educational Facilities?