Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
|Text Index||Custom Search|
Attendance and Enrollment1. How is compulsory school attendance defined?
2. Does Florida law specify an age requirement for admission into a public school first grade?
3. Is a student over age 16 allowed to quit school without parent permission?
4. How is a truant defined?
5. How do school districts determine if an absence is excused or unexcused?
6. Is there an exception made for absence due to illness?
7. How are schools required to enforce regular school attendance?
8. What is the minimum attendance requirement for awarding course credit?
9. How are schools using the driver license/school attendance program to encourage attendance?
10. Are a significant number of high school students actually losing their drivers' licenses as a result of too many absences from school?
11. Does compulsory school attendance apply to Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK)?
12. What are the requirements for Florida public school kindergarten admission?
13. If a child turns five years old after September 1, can a waiver be obtained from the Florida Department of Education to allow him to attend kindergarten?
14. Can a child whose birth date is after September 1 who has completed a Florida nonpublic school kindergarten program be admitted into a Florida public school first grade?
15. Is it possible for a student who is enrolled in an out-of-state kindergarten or first grade program and who does not meet Florida's admission age requirements, to transfer and attend kindergarten or first grade in a Florida public school?
16. What information is required in order to enroll a student in a Florida public school?
17. Can a child who has completed a Florida nonpublic school kindergarten program but whose birthdate (turning six years of age) is after September 1 be admitted into a Florida public school first grade?
18. How can I obtain information on individual school districts?
19. When did the kindergarten cut-off date change to September 1?
20. Is there a set number of hours per day a child must attend a public kindergarten program?
21. Is kindergarten attendance required for a child that turns five before September 1?
22. What does a child need to know before entering kindergarten?
23. What are the age requirements and compulsory school attendance requirements for kindergarten admission in other states?
1. Where can I find correspondence sent from the DOE?
On the Paperless Communications page, you can either sign up to receive all memoranda sent through the paperless system or search the paperless communication archives.
For a list of bureaus and services, along with links to their websites, please visit the Office Directory. You might also try a keyword search on the Florida Department of Education homepage.
2. Where can I find information about ESE programs?
3. How can I become a teacher in Florida?
4. Where can I find information about my child's teacher?
5. Where can I get information about the FCAT?