Return to Normal View

DOE Homepage Students Educators Community Family Administrators and Staff

Florida Department of Education

DOE Home > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


  Frequently Asked Questions  

Text Index Google Custom Search
Hide Answers

Grants Training and Development

General Information

1. Where do I find "the list" of grants?
    The Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) lists the grants of all federal agencies and indexes them for browsing in several ways including such information as function, applicant eligibility, beneficiary, etc.


The Catalog of State Financial Assistance (CSFA) is a statewide compendium of state projects that provide financial assistance to non-state entities. As the basic reference source for state projects, the primary purpose of the CSFA is to assist users in obtaining general information on state projects and identifying state projects that meet specific objectives. State projects are cataloged by agency and are assigned a CSFA number for easy referencing.


Internet searches can point to foundation and corporate grant opportunities and reference books at libraries are also good resources.

The Department of Education (DOE) Paperless Communication system is another way to receive notice when grant opportunities, related to DOE, are released. After completing the sign-up process, you will receive email messages containing links to information issued by the DOE, including announcements of grant opportunities.

  1. On your computer, access the DOE Paperless Communication webpage on the Internet by typing in
  2. Click on Sign-up for E-mail notices.
  3. Once step #2 is completed, follow the instructions for entering your email address and continue with the sign-up steps. When you have completed all steps, you will receive communications released through the various "Interest Areas" selected.

  4. 2. Can I apply for a grant if I am a for-profit agency?
        Grant funding is primarily available to various types of non-profit organizations and public agencies of federal and state governments. Some grants can underwrite activities of a for-profit agency. Non-profit agencies may collaborate with a for-profit organization. In these cases, the public/nonprofit and the for-profit organizations enter into a partnership. Most of the grant sources of which we are aware must go through a public education institution or a private nonprofit agency. There are very few sources willing to fund for-profit agencies directly, unless they partner with a non-profit entity.

    3. How do I become a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization?
        Obtaining non-profit status requires a formal application process and filing of legal documents through the Florida Department of State (DOS) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The DOS website maintains information and links to the necessary forms:

    4. How do I get funds to go to school?
        Contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) @ 1-800-366-3475, (850) 410-5200, OSFA provides assistance with individual grants, loans, and scholarships to attend schools and colleges.