Return to Normal View

DOE Homepage Students Educators Community Family Administrators and Staff

Florida Department of Education

DOE Home > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


  Frequently Asked Questions  

Text Index Google Custom Search
Hide Answers

Grants Management

All · General Information · Program Support Operations

Program Support Operations

1. What is the correct name for your office and your mailing address?
    Office of Grants Management, Program Support Operations, 325 West Gaines Street, Room 325 Turlington Building, Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400

2. How are potential applicants notified about the availability of funding and when to apply?
    Department of Education (DOE) program administrators are responsible for distribution of approved Request for Proposals (RFPs) or Request for Applications (RFAs) notifying districts and other eligible agencies of the purpose and scope of the program, availability of funds, and the timelines for submission of applications. An RFP is used for competitive projects and an RFA is used for noncompetitive projects.

3. What is the purpose of the RFP or RFA?
    The RFP/RFA will include the DOE assigned tracking number and the specific application required for the funding governed by that RFP/RFA. Instructions included in the RFP/RFA shall inform potential applicants of the types of projects to be funded, amounts available and the method of allocation, review criteria for approval, constraints on the use of funds, reporting requirements, support for the reading initiative, the dissemination and marketing plan, as well as any other procedures, requirements, or restrictions incurred by successful applicants. Each project application must include instructions describing the procedures for submission of disbursement reports and the return of undisbursed funds by project recipients. If a program evaluation and/or report is required of project recipients, the instructions should include specifics of such requirements.

4. What are TAPS Numbers and who assigned them?
    TAPS - Tracking Applications - unique (tracking) numbers assigned to Requests for Proposals (RFPS) or Requests for Applications (RFAs) to correspond with projects issued by the Department of Education. The Grants Management Program Support Operations' Offices assign these numbers.

5. Where should I mail proposals/applications and/or amendments?

Send these documents to the appropriate Program Support Operation's office as outlined in the relevant RFP or RFA.

6. What will happen if I submit an amendment request on the wrong forms…will it be disapproved?
    No, however, our office will contact you to resubmit the request(s) on the appropriate forms. These forms can be downloaded from our web site. - Department of Education Grant Forms.

7. I am new to the state university funding process, where can I find a resource document that will list the object codes that I should use when completing the DOE 101 form?
    You can visit the following web site - State of Florida Expenditure Object Codes to get the information.

8. Where can I find the "Red Book" online from the Department's web site?
    Information can be found at the following link: The Financial and Program Cost Accounting and Reporting for Florida Schools (Red Book).

9. What is a CFDA Number?
    A CFDA number is a unique number created in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) database. It tracks all domestically funded federal programs available to state and local governments (including the District of Columbia); federally recognized Indian Tribes (and possessions) of the United States; domestic public; quasi-public and private. It provides a short summary of each grant program, as well as the contact information for federal agencies that award the grants.

10. Can State appropriated funds charge indirect cost?
    No. Indirect costs apply only to federal projects. To better understand indirect cost definitions, please refer to Project Application and Amendment Procedures for Federal and State Programs (Green Book) Section A -Project Applications, page 10, and Section C -Project Records and Reports, page 29, to view the information online.

11. Can a community-based organization charge indirect cost on grant funds?
    In order to be allowed to recover indirect costs, agencies other than school districts must furnish to the Comptroller's Office a copy of their current negotiated indirect cost plan that has been approved by the appropriate cognizant agency. The Department of Education Comptroller may approve amounts from zero to the maximum negotiated rate to a program or project. Indirect cost shall only apply to federal projects. Refer to the "Green Book" web site for more details.

12. How is the indirect cost figured?
    You take the total amount of the budget, subtract the 600 objects codes, then take this amount and divide by 100 + rate of indirect cost amount assigned by the Comptroller's office. Take this amount and subtract from the amount after the 600 objects codes are subtracted. This is for the school districts only. Community Colleges, Universities and state Community Colleges shall charge no more than 5%. Indirect cost shall apply only to federal projects.

13. As a community-based organization applying for grant funds, would you tell me what other documents are needed other than the DOE 100A and DOE 101 to submit an application?
    Community-based organizations, independent colleges, and other agencies requesting funding must also submit the following:

  • A copy of the organization's current operating budget
  • A list of it current board of directors (s.216.052 (9) F.S.)
  • The certification page signed by the agency head certifying applicant adherence to the general terms, assurances, and conditions, and if available,
  • A copy of its most recent annual audit report prepared by an independent certified public accountant licensed in this state.

These items must be submitted prior to the issuance of a project award. At the option of the Department, additional documentation of financial stability may be required as a condition of funding.

14. Would you please explain the difference of being paid on performance-based and being paid by reimbursements?
    Performance-Based refers to types of projects which contain a provision for dividing the project into units of deliverables, which shall include but not be limited to reports, findings, services, and drafts that must be documented, received, and accepted in writing by the project manager prior to payment. Payments will be distributed upon receipt of a properly prepared invoice and approval of deliverables by the program administrator.

Reimbursement requests will be made using the applicable Project Disbursement Report, if applicable; the detail of salary expenditure form (DOE 300); and if applicable, the detail of monthly transactions form (DOE 301), in accordance with the instructions on each form. These forms are online to be downloaded from the Department's Green Book web site.

Legible copies of all invoices or receipts, which set forth details sufficient for a proper pre-audit and post-audit, shall be submitted with the reimbursement package. The invoices and the entries on the detail forms should correspond with the agency's account codes listed on the applicable Project Disbursement Report.
All claims must be a direct cost to the program, unless there is an approved indirect cost allocation plan on file with the Department Comptroller's Office. See procedures for requesting reimbursement in the Department's Green Book.

15. Can we submit applications online?
    Submission of applications online is not available at this time.

16. Where can I find the Green-book on line?
    Go to

17. Where do I find the project number?
    The project number is the 13 digit number on the award letter located in the right corner of the award letter.

18. Who assigns the project numbers?
    Office of Grants Management assigns the project numbers. The first three numbers will identify the agency. This number is assigned by the Comptroller's office.

The next group of five numbers will identify the grant number or (fund source).

The last group of five numbers will identify the year, the payment type, the program identifier and the number of applications received for each agency.

19. Where are the current forms found?
    The new forms can be found in the Green-book under section I.

20. Which forms do we use for amendments?
    The DOE 150 and the 151 form.

21. Do we always need a letter of authorization if the president or the superintendent does not sign the DOE 100A?
    Yes, this letter must accompany each application as is specified in the Green Book. The letter must come from the authorized official assigning signature authority in their absence.

22. Can our project officially begin with only a faxed copy of the award letter?
    Yes, because the official start date is the date of receipt on the application in grants management, once it is approved.

23. Must we have a TAPS number on the application?
    YES. Please include all requested information in the application. Read the RFP/RFA to determine if your agency is in the pool of eligible applicants.

24. Can we e-mail the changes on the 101 or the 151?
    Yes, as long as the form does not require a signature.

25. In my entitlement project, the amount of available funds differ from what was in my approved application, which is correct?
    Usually, such a difference is caused by one of two things: an inaccurate estimate of roll forward funds, or change in the final federal allocation. In either case, the information on the certified roll forward letter is correct.

26. If I don't see my answer in the FAQ's, what should I do?
    If you cannot find the answer to your question(s), or if you would like to submit a question, feel free to contact us at (850) 245-0496.