Return to Normal View

DOE Homepage Students Educators Community Family Administrators and Staff

Florida Department of Education

DOE Home > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


  Frequently Asked Questions  

Text Index Google Custom Search
Hide Answers

Grants Management

All · General Information · Program Support Operations

General Information

1. What is the correct name for your office and your mailing address?
    Office of Grants Management. Department of Education, Office of Grants Management, 325 West Gaines Street, Room 332 Turlington Building, Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400

2. How are potential applicants notified about the availability of funding and when to apply?
    Department of Education (DOE) program administrators are responsible for the distribution of approved Request for Proposals (RFPs) or Request for Applications (RFAs) notifying eligible agencies of a funding opportunity. The RFP/A provides the instructions on how and when to apply. An RFP is used for competitive projects and an RFA is used for noncompetitive projects.

3. What is the purpose of the RFP or RFA?
    Approved RFP/RFAs are the instructions, the federal or state authority, due date for submitting an application to DOE for a specific funding purpose and the address for mailing applications and/or the web site for online applications. All RFP/As are assigned a unique tracking number (TAPS) which follows each application submitted for each TAPS number from the receipt in DOE through the final approval process. Each RFP/A details the purpose and scope of the program, method of allocation, the amount of funds available detailing any restrictions, if applicable, any priorities established, support for the reading initiative, the review criteria for approval and any other requirement or procedure. They also included, the program and fiscal reporting requirements including any restrictions on the use of funds, the project period, and DOE contact person with e-mail address and telephone number.

4. What are TAPS Numbers and who assigned them?
    TAPS - Tracking Applications - unique (tracking) numbers assigned to Requests for Proposals (RFPs) or Requests for Applications (RFAs) to correspond with applications submitted to the Department of Education. The Office of Grants Management staff assigns these numbers.

5. Where should I mail proposals/applications and/or amendments?
    Send these documents to: Department of Education, Office of Grants Management, 325 West Gaines Street, Room 332 Turlington Building, Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400.

6. What will happen if I submit an amendment request on the wrong forms…will it be disapproved?
    No, however, our office will contact you to resubmit the request(s) on the appropriate forms. These forms can be downloaded from our web site.

7. I am new to the state university funding process. Where can I find a resource document that will list the object codes that I should use when completing the DOE 101 form?
    You should contact your specific university’s Contracts and Grants Office to obtain this information.

8. Where can I find the Red Book online from the Department's web site?
    Information can be found at the following link: The Financial and Program Cost Accounting and Reporting for Florida Schools (Red Book).

9. What is a CFDA Number?
    A CFDA number is a unique number created in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) database. It tracks all domestically funded federal programs available to state and local governments (including the District of Columbia); federally recognized Indian Tribes (and possessions) of the United States; domestic public; quasi-public and private. It provides a short summary of each grant program, as well as the contact information for federal agencies that award the grants.

10. Can indirect costs be charged to State-appropriated funds?
    No. Indirect costs apply only to federal projects. This information is referenced in the Project Application and Amendment Procedures for Federal and State Programs (Green Book) Section C - Fiscal and Program Accountability, Administrative Cost, and in Section D – General Assurances, Terms, and Conditions for Participation in Federal and State Programs, Indirect Cost, or view the information online at

11. Can a community-based organization (CBO) charge indirect costs on federal grant funds?
    In order to be allowed to recover indirect costs, agencies other than school districts, state agencies, state universities and state community colleges must furnish to the Comptroller's Office a copy of their current negotiated indirect cost plan that has been approved by the appropriate cognizant agency. If there is no such plan, the CBO may not charge indirect costs. The Department of Education may approve amounts from zero to the maximum negotiated rate to a program or project. Indirect cost shall only apply to federal projects. Refer to the Green Book, Section C, under Administrative Cost and Section D, under Indirect Cost or view online at:

12. How is indirect cost calculated for budget purposes?

For school districts, take the amount available to earn indirect costs and subtract excluded costs (capital outlay, flow-through and sub-contracts). This is the net amount available for both indirect and direct costs. Divide the net amount by the applicable approved indirect cost rate plus 100% which will give the direct cost. Subtract the direct cost amount from the net amount available to get the indirect cost amount for the budget. See example below. State Universities and state Community Colleges shall charge no more than 5%. Indirect cost shall apply only to federal projects.


Project Amount $ 545,000
Less: excluded cost 1,445
Net amount for direct and indirect cost 543,555
Divide net amount by the combined 103.95%

percentage of 100 percent plus the

applicable indirect cost rate percentage
Subtract this amount from the net amount 522,900
Equals the indirect cost dollar amount $ 20,655

13. As a community-based organization applying for grant funds, would you tell me what other documents are needed other than the DOE 100A and DOE 101 to submit an application?
    Community-based organizations, independent colleges, and other non-governmental agencies requesting funding must also submit the following:
  • A copy of the organization's current operating budget
  • A list of its current board of directors
  • The certification page signed by the agency head certifying applicant adherence to the General Assurances, Terms, and Conditions for Participation in Federal and State Programs, and
  • A copy of the agency’s most recent annual audit report prepared by an independent certified public accountant licensed in this state.

All of these items must be submitted prior to the issuance of a project award. At the option of the Department, additional documentation of financial stability may be required as a condition of funding.

14. Would you please explain the difference between being paid on performance-based and being paid by reimbursement?

Performance- Payment will be made upon submission of a properly prepared invoice and documented allowable disbursements, plus documentation of completion of specified performance objectives, which are stated in the approved project. The program administrator is responsible for approving performance deliverables prior to payment. Detailed instructions are also outlined in the Green Book, Section C, Fiscal and Program Accountability, under Project Reports.

Reimbursement – Payment will be made upon submission of a properly prepared invoice and documented allowable disbursements, in accordance with the applicable program requirements and instructions outlined in the approved project. Detailed instructions are also outlined in the Green Book, Section C, Fiscal and Program Accountability, under Project Reports.

15. Can we submit applications online?
    Each RFP/A will give instructions on how to apply and if an online application is available.

16. Where can I find the Green Book online?
    Go to

17. Where do I find the project number?
    The project number is comprised of 13 characters located in the top right corner of the project award notification letter (Box 2).

18. Who assigns the project number?

The Office of Grants Management assigns the project number. The first three characters identify the agency.

The next five characters identify the funding source from which the project will be paid.

The last five characters are used to identify sub-elements referred to as the project code. They identify the fiscal year of funding, the payment method, program identifier and the number of projects issued to an agency by that funding source.

19. Where are the current forms found?
    The forms can be found in the Green Book under the forms section at

20. Which forms do we use for amendments?
    The DOE 150 and 151.

21. Do we always need a letter of authorization if the president or the superintendent does not sign the DOE 100A?
    Yes, this letter must accompany each application as is specified in the Green Book. The letter must come from the authorized official agency head assigning signature authority in their absence.

22. Can our project officially begin with only a faxed copy of the award letter?
    Yes, if your agency’s policies and procedures permit it.

23. Must we have a TAPS number on the application?
    Yes. All requested information on the RFP/A should be included in the application to assure eligibility.

24. Can we e-mail the changes for the 101 or the 151?
    Yes, e-mail corrections are allowable for forms that do not require a signature.

25. The amount on my entitlement project award notification is different from the amount available indicated on the certified roll forward letter. Which is correct?
    Entitlement applications are approved with an estimated amount for roll forward so at that particular time it is correct. However, after the roll forward process is completed the initial amount available may be more or less based on the final calculations. You should note that any increase sent out in the form of a letter or memorandum must be followed up with the submission of an amendment from the agency in order to have authority to spend the additional funds. If the amount certified in the letter is less, no amendment is required and the agency should adjust their records accordingly.

26. If I don't see my answer in the FAQ's, what should I do?
    If you cannot find the answer to your question(s), or if you would like to submit a question, feel free to contact us at (850) 245-0496.