Return to Normal View

DOE Homepage Students Educators Community Family Administrators and Staff

Florida Department of Education

DOE Home > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


  Frequently Asked Questions  

Text Index Google Custom Search
Hide Answers

Florida Colleges

All · DCF Fee Exemptions · General Information · Homeless Fee Exemption · Military Service & Residency · Purple Heart Waivers · Student Housing

DCF Fee Exemptions

1. What is the Department of Children and Families (DCF) fee exemption?
    According to Florida law, some students who were in DCF custody, adopted, in a relativeís custody or placed in court guardianship may be exempted from paying tuition and fees at Florida College System institutions.

2. I want to attend a Florida College System institution. How do I know if I am eligible for this exemption?
    You could be eligible for the fee exemption if you meet one of the following criteria:
  • You were in the custody of DCF when you turned 18.
  • You were adopted from DCF after May 5, 1997.
  • You were in the custody of a relative when you reached the age of 18.
  • You were placed in a guardianship by the court after reaching age 16 and spent at least 6 months in the custody of DCF.

3. I am currently living on my own and am over 18 years old. Am I still eligible for this exemption?
    If you meet any of the criteria listed above you may be eligible to receive the DCF fee exemption until you reach 28 years of age.

4. What paperwork is needed to determine if Iím eligible?
    To qualify, you should complete form CF-FSP 5220 (PDF), available from DCFís website. You will need to work with a DCF representative to obtain the necessary signatures. Each college is different, so you need to ask the college youíre interested in attending about what is required.

5. What does the exemption cover?
    This exemption covers tuition and fees only. This means that you will be required to pay other costs associated with college, such as textbooks, housing and food. Be sure to talk with the financial aid office and admissions office about additional fees.

6. What are other options to help pay for college?
    There are many ways of keeping college affordable. Students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as early as possible. The FAFSA is used by the college to determine eligibility for federal and state aid. The exemption does not cover the cost of books, housing or food. FAFSA can help you determine other sources of aid to help with costs not covered by the exemption. View federal and state financial aid programs.