Bureau of Voluntary Prekindergarten
Bureau of Voluntary Prekindergarten
|Text Index||Custom Search|
Implementing Florida's Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Education Program
Florida Kindergarten Readiness Screener (FLKRS)
The Florida Kindergarten Readiness Screener (FLKRS) is administered to assess the readiness of each child for kindergarten. The (FLKRS) includes a subset of the Early Childhood Observation System™ (ECHOS™) and the first two measures of the Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills™ (DIBELS™) for kindergarten (Letter Naming Fluency and Initial Sound Fluency) to gather information on a child’s development in emergent literacy.
In the 2009-10 Kindergarten screening year, the (FLKRS) will be changed to include the Early Childhood Observation System™ (ECHOS™) and the new Florida Assessments for Instruction in Reading, which will replace the Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills™ (DIBELS™). The Florida Assessments for Instruction in Reading include: Broad Screening, a Broad Diagnostic Inventory, and a Targeted Diagnostic Inventory. To learn more about the changes to FLKRS, please visit http://www.fldoe.org/earlylearning/FLKRS2009.
- 2008 Kindergarten Screening Results – Commissioner’s Memo Final December 12, 2008 (PDF, 316KB)
- Attachment 1 ECHOS™ Data 2008-09 (Excel, 28KB)
- Attachment 2 ECHOS™ Map 2008-09 (Excel, 74KB)
- Attachment 3 DIBELS™ Letter Naming Data 2008-09 (Excel, 28KB)
- Attachment 4 DIBELS™ Letter Naming Map 2008-09 (Excel, 74KB)
- Attachment 5 DIBELS™ Initial Sound Fluency Data 2008-09 (Excel, 28KB)
- Attachment 6 DIBELS™ Initial Sound Fluency Map 2008-09 (Excel, 74KB)
Legislative Authority and Purpose
- Section 1002.69(1), Florida Statutes, (F.S.) directed the Florida Department of Education to establish a kindergarten readiness screening based upon Florida's Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Education Standards.
- Section 1002.69(1), F.S., also specifies that the Department of Education shall require each public school to administer a kindergarten readiness screening to all kindergarten students in the school district within the first 30 school days of each school year. Additionally, each parent who enrolls his or her child in the VPK Education Program in the previous school year must voluntarily submit the child for the FLKRS, regardless of whether the child is admitted to kindergarten in a public or non-public school.
- Section 1002.69(4), F.S., also requires each school district to designate sites for administering the FLKRS for VPK Education Program participants who will be attending kindergarten in a non-public school
- VPK Provider - Kindergarten Readiness Rate Website
- Kindergarten Profiles
- 2006-07 District Kindergarten Profiles (PDF, 2MB)
- 2006-07 State Kindergarten Profiles (PDF, 385KB)
- VPK Director Endorsement Course Release Flyer (PDF, 139KB)
- You can access the online course on the Department of Children and Families Child Care Training Website
- Memo # 07-01: Technical Assistance Paper #07-02: 2004-05 and 2005-06 School District Participation and Impact of Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK Program (1-24-07) (PDF)
- Technical Assistance Paper # 07-02: Technical Assistance Paper #07-02: 2004-05 and 2005-06 School District Participation and Impact of Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Program (PDF)
Adoption of Rule 6A-6.040, Florida Administrative Code
Paperless Communication Sign-Up for VPK Information
- Memo #05-06, 11-08-05 (PDF, 78KB)
- VPK Provider Guide - DCF
- Learning Activities and Choosing Curricula for VPK Education Programs (PDF, 189KB)