Bureau of Voluntary Prekindergarten
Bureau of Voluntary Prekindergarten
|Text Index||Custom Search|
CurriculumEach VPK provider's curriculum must be developmentally appropriate, designed to prepare a student for early literacy, enhance the age-appropriate progress of students in attaining the state-adopted performance standards, and prepare students to be ready for kindergarten based on the statewide kindergarten screening. (Section 1002.67(2)(b), Florida Statutes) VPK providers may select or design the curriculum for their classrooms, unless on probation for continuing failure to meet kindergarten readiness rates.
Legislation implementing the VPK Education Program requires the Department of Education to review and approve curricula for use by private providers and public schools that have been placed on probation as a result of their kindergarten readiness rates falling below the minimum rate adopted by the State Board of Education. DOE must maintain a list of such curricula.
The following documents provide information regarding the VPK Curriculum Approval Process as well additional resources related to curriculum and VPK programs.
2012-13 Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Education Program Curriculum Approval Process New!The Florida Department of Education is beginning the 2012 Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Curriculum Approval Process for Providers on Probation.
- Draft Curriculum Approval Specifications (PDF, 416KB)
- Policies and Procedures for Curriculum Approval (PDF, 345KB)
We seek Committee Members to review curriculum packages. A webinar training will be held in January 2013, with the submission review period (two months) to begin at that time as well. Committee Members will review two to three submissions.
- Information for Prospective Committee Members (RTF, 55KB)
- Committee Member Nomination Form Part I (RTF, 68KB)
- Committee Member Nomination Form Part II (RTF, 80KB)
The Curriculum Approval Specifications document and the Policies and Procedures refer to Sample Skills Trace Templates. These templates are found here:
- A.2.b. Sample Alphabetic Knowledge Skills Trace Template (RTF, 89KB)
- A.2.d. Sample Phonological Awareness Skills Trace Template (RTF, 89KB)
- A.2.f. Sample Vocabulary Development Skills Trace Template (RTF, 92KB)
- A.2.h. Sample Number Sense and Operations Skills Trace Template (RTF, 102KB)
VPK Curriculum Approval Process Forms
- Form VPK-Curr1: Committee Member Agreement (RTF, 40KB)
- Form VPK-Curr2: Publisher's Intent to Submit (RTF, 83KB)
- Form VPK-Curr3: Publisher Registration Form (RTF, 70KB)
- Form VPK-Curr4: Publisher Agreement (RTF, 2MB)
- Form VPK-Curr5: Curriculum Evaluation Form (RTF, 275KB)
The Florida Department of Education has completed the 2010 Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Curriculum Approval Process for Low Performing Providers.
- Memo #10-13 (PDF, 132KB) August 16, 2010 - 2010 Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Curriculum Approval Process and Approved Curriculum List for Low Performing Providers
- Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Curriculum Approval Process for Low Performing Providers 2010 Final Report (PDF, 2MB) This report outlines the entire curriculum approval process and includes ancillary forms and documents.
Approved VPK Curriculum Packages for use by programs on probation
Please note that information on individual curricula is provided by the publisher and is based on the publisherís submission for the VPK Curriculum Approval Process for Low Performing Providers (2010). Other versions of the curriculum may exist, but the submission (packaged curriculum materials and professional development) outlined here is the only version approved for use by those who fail to meet the minimum Kindergarten Readiness Rate for two consecutive years (s. 1002.67(2)(c), F.S.).
|Beyond Centers & Circle Time Curriculum Series (PDF, 533KB)||Kaplan Early Learning Company|
|Creative Curriculum (PDF, 445KB)||Teaching Strategies, Inc.|
|DLM Early Childhood Express + SRA Number Worlds/Building Blocks (PDF, 953KB)||School Education Group, a division of The Mc-Graw-Hill Companies, Inc.|
|Early Literacy and Learning Model/Plus (ELLM/Plus) (PDF, 370KB)||Florida Institute of Education at the University of North Florida|
|HighReach Learning for Pre-K (PDF, 416KB)||HighReach Learning|
|High/Scope Preschool Curriculum (PDF, 307KB)||High/Scope Educational Research Foundation|
|InvestiGator Club (PDF, 289KB)||Robert-Leslie Publishing|
|Letís Begin with the Letter People Comprehensive Program (PDF, 276KB)||Abrams Learning Trends|
|Links to Literacy Complete Curriculum (PDF, 288KB)||Kaplan Early Learning Company|
|Literacy Express Comprehensive Preschool Curriculum (PDF, 277KB)||Literacy Express|
|Little Treasures (PDF, 327KB)||School Education Group, a division of The Mc-Graw-Hill Companies, Inc.|
|Opening the World of Learning (OWL) (PDF, 452KB)||Pearson Education, Inc., publishing as the Pearson Learning Group|
|Pre-K Reading Comprehensive Program with Math Extension Kit (Houghton Mifflin) (PDF, 475KB)||Houghton Mifflin Harcourt School Publishers|
|Saxon Early Learning (PDF, 391KB)||Saxon, an imprint of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Supplemental Publishers Inc.|
Documents from 2010 Curriculum Approval Process for Low Performing Providers
- Florida Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Education Program Curriculum Approval Specifications (PDF, 685KB) This document outlines, in detail, the specifications including each item scored by reviewers during the 2010 curriculum approval process. The Curriculum Evaluation Form is included as an appendix.
- Florida Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Education Program 2010 Policies and Procedures for Curriculum Approval (PDF, 293KB) This document outlines policies and procedures followed by reviewers and publishers during the 2010 curriculum approval process. Forms are included as appendices.
- Florida Administrative Weekly notice This notice announces the 2010 curriculum approval process.