Air Indoor Resources
Air Indoor Resources
|Text Index||Custom Search|
Air Indoor Resources - Asbestos
Asbestos Sampling & Analysis
- At least three (3) bulk samples from a homogenous area that is 1,000 square feet or less;
- At least five (5) bulk samples from each area greater than 1,000 square feet but less than or equal to 5,000 square feet;
- At least seven (7) bulk samples from each area greater than 5,000 square feet
Thermal system insulation (TSI) sampling requires an accredited inspector to collect at least:
- Three (3) bulk samples from a homogenous area of patched TSI not assumed to be ACM;
- One (1) bulk sample, not assumed ACM, if patched section is less than six (6) linear or square feet;
- Insulated mechanical system, if not assumed ACM, where cement or plaster is used on fittings such as tees, elbows, or valves; this requires a sufficient number of samples to determine if material is ACBM indicates to the EPA that at least three (3) samples taken in a homogenous area to prove the material do not contain asbestos.
Bulk samples are not required from TSI that has been determined to be fiberglass, foam glass, rubber or other non-ACBM. Miscellaneous material samples should be sufficiently sampled to determine if material is ACM or ACBM targeting friable areas for sample collection. If the building is built after October 12, 1988, the Architect or Developer is required to certify a signed statement that the building is asbestos-free; this is technically called an exclusion letter under 763.99(a)(7).
Laboratories accredited by the National Bureau of Standards (NBS) for Polarized Light Microscope (PLM) identification are used for asbestos identification. No composite samples are allowed from bulk sampling. A homogeneous area is determined ACM if one sample collected is one (1) percent asbestos or greater. The designated person shall receive the name and address of each laboratory as well as the signature and date of person performing the analysis; this information will be included in the management plan within 30 days from date of analysis.
325 West Gaines Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399
Phone: (850) 245-9295