American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
Race to the Top Assessments
|Text Index||Custom Search|
325 West Gaines Street, Room 832
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400
Fax: (850) 245-9069
About UsOn August 24, 2010, the U.S. Department of Education announced that Florida was a winner of the federal Race to the Top Phase 2 competition. A key component of Florida's winning application focused on the standards and assessments assurance area, including the creation of high-quality, balanced assessments. The assessment initiatives managed by the Office of RTTT Assessments include:
- A Request for Proposal (RFP) competitive grant process to select a vendor for the development of high-quality interim assessment items and assessments in English/Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, and Spanish stored in an item bank and test platform for districts, schools, and teachers.
- A Request for Proposal (RFP) (PDF, 747KB) competitive grant process awarded to Local Education Agencies (LEAs) to create high-quality assessments for hard-to-measure content areas such as health, music, and art.
- A contract to provide information allowing international comparisons of Florida student achievement in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) and literacy through benchmarking studies from three international assessments:
- Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS)
- Progress in International Reading Literacy Study (PIRLS)
- Program for International Student Assessment (PISA)
- Office of Race to the Top Assessments Information Sheet (PDF, 140KB)
- Office of Race to the Top Assessments Timeline (PDF, 88KB)
- Office of Race to the Top Assessments Resources
Tracking Our ProgressThe Office of Race to the Top Assessments announces awardees of the District-Developed Assessments for Hard-to-Measure Content Areas proposals. The following project awards, totaling $20 million, are for school districts to design and develop tests for content areas that do not have statewide standardized assessments.
|Project Letter||Content Areas||District Awardee|
|A||Physical and Health Education, K - 8||Miami-Dade|
|B||Physical and Health Education, 9 - 12||Hillsborough|
|G||Career and Technical Education||Hillsborough|
The Florida Department of Education (DOE) announced the launch of Education 360, a new video series hosted by DOE's Teacher Liaison Kelly Seay, which provides quick snapshots about important education reform efforts currently underway in the Sunshine State. Episode Four (WMV, 88MB) features members of the Race To The Top District-Developed Student Assessments for Instructional Effectiveness Implementation Committee, discussing the development of a test item bank and assisting with district-developed assessments for content areas that do not currently have statewide-reviewed standardized tests.
If you would like to subscribe to receive e-mail updates regarding assessment development for assessments based on Common Core State Standards, please visit Common Core State Standards Assessments Listserv Subscription. Users may also subscribe to receive RTTT email updates and subscribe to the FDOE paperless communications list.