HIV/STD Prevention Professional Development and Upcoming Events
Through the Promoting Adolescent Health through School-Based HIV/STD Prevention and School-Based Surveillance Project various trainings and webinars will be conducted during 2014-2015. The specific dates are yet to be determined.
Fall Semester of 2014
- Exemplary Sexual Health Education: Sexual Health Education 101 - Twenty-two district level trainings will be conducted for those educators who provide sexual health education in the districts participating in the project.
- Webinars regarding the value and importance of effective policies and procedures for sexual health education, sexual health services for students, and safe and supportive school environments. These webinars will also promote the use of Florida's Sexual Health Education Community Outreach Tool Kit.
- Webinar to introduce the use of Street Smart, an evidence-based intervention program designed to meet the needs of homeless students who are at a very high risk for HIV/STD infection and teen pregnancy.
- Webinar developed in partnership with School Health Services, Florida Department of Health, to demonstrate success stories from districts around the state that are providing access for students to sexual health services.
- Webinar developed in partnership with the Office of Safe Schools, Florida Department of Education regarding evidence-based curricula for bullying prevention and model bullying prevention policies.
- Power Point Presentation regarding the benefits of exemplary sexual health education for students.
Spring Semester of 2015
- Access to Sexual Health Services for Youth - Six regional trainings will be conducted for school nurses in the districts participating in the project. The topics will include providing access to sexual health services in school-based clinics and youth- friendly health care providers in the community.