Evidence-Based CurriculaTool to Assess the Characteristics of Effective Sex and STD/HIV Education Programs (PDF) - Douglas Kirby, Lori Rolleri, and Mary Martha Wilson (2007)
For a list of programs that were found to be effective at preventing teen pregnancies or births, reducing sexually transmitted infections, or reducing rates of associated sexual risk behaviors (defined by sexual activity, contraceptive use, or number of partners) please visit OAH: Evidence-Based Programs (31 programs).
District-Developed Sexual Health Education Curricula
Emerging Answers (2007): Research Findings on Programs to Reduce Teen Pregnancy and Sexually Transmitted Diseases Douglas Kirby (2007)Emerging Answers is a comprehensive review of evaluation research that offers practitioners and policymakers information concerning programs that work to prevent teen pregnancy. A summary of the report and purchasing information is available online.
Sexual Risk & Protective Factors: Factors Affecting Teen Sexual Behavior, Pregnancy, Childbearing and Sexually Transmitted Disease – Which Are Important? Which Can You Change? Doug Kirby, PhD (2007) (PDF)
Sex Education in America: Summary – (NPR/Kaiser/Kennedy School Poll, 2004) (PDF) A project by National Public Radio, the Kaiser Family Foundation, and Harvard University's Kennedy School examines Americans' views on sex education in the nation’s public schools. The project reviews whether Americans think sex education should be taught in school, what kind of sex education should be taught, and surveys middle school and high school principals on what is actually happening in the schools.
- Organizing to Survive: The HIV/AIDS Crisis Among Florida’s Women
- Out in the Open: The Continuing Crisis of HIV/AIDS Among Florida’s Men Who Have Sex with Men
- Silence is Death: The Crisis of HIV/AIDS in Florida’s Black Communities
Prevention Education for Special Populations
Resource Material Lists
Free MaterialsMaterials listed here are free of charge within the state of Florida in limited quantity. To order, please send a message to . Be sure to include: Your mailing address
Your phone number
How many copies you want (if more than one can be ordered)
- Everybody's Not Doin' It: Sex is Risky (Available in English or Spanish - please specify. Up to 10 per customer)
This poster sends the message that sensible young people can abstain from sexual activity because of the many risk factors involved.
- Essential Tips for Successful Collaboration booklet (Up to 5 per customer)
This CDC publication presents a synthesis of key lessons learned throughout a 5-year collaborative initiative called the Joint Work Group on School-based Teen Pregnancy Prevention. Helpful tips are provided to groups and individuals who intend to become part of a collaborative.
- Someone at School Has AIDS: A Complete Guide to Education Policies Concerning HIV Infection (1 per customer)
This guide, from the National Association of State Boards of Education, addresses educational policies and legal aspects regarding HIV/AIDS.
- Teaching about Sexuality and HIV: Principles and Methods for Effective Education, by Evonne Hedgepeth and Joan Helmich (1 per
Designed to help educators effectively inform children (all ages) and young adults about sexuality and HIV/AIDS. Suggestions for activities are comprehensive, and educators can select those that are appropriate to their educational environment.
- Ten Tips for Parents to Help Their Children Avoid Teen Pregnancy booklet (1 per customer)
From the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, this booklet is a research-based list of practical tips for parents and adults.
Brochures & Bookmarks to Download
- Ten Tips for Parents to Help Their Children Avoid Teen Pregnancy bookmark (Print Version) (PDF, 515KB)
- Ten Tips for Parents to Help Their Children Avoid Teen Pregnancy bookmark (Text Version) (Word, 130KB)
- Ten Tips for Parents to Help Their Children Avoid Teen Pregnancy bookmark (Spanish) (PDF, 175KB)
- Ten Tips for Parents to Help Their Children Avoid Teen Pregnancy bookmark (Haitian-Creole) (PDF, 178KB)
- Definitions of Sexual Health Education Programs brochure (PDF, 295KB)
- Definitions of Sexual Health Education Programs brochure (Spanish) (PDF, 301KB)
- Definitions of Sexual Health Education Programs brochure (Haitian-Creole) (PDF, 303KB)