Specific Learning Disabilities (sld)
DefinitionA specific learning disability is defined as a disorder in one or more of the basic learning processes involved in understanding or in using language, spoken or written, that may manifest in significant difficulties affecting the ability to listen, speak, read, write, spell, or do mathematics. Associated conditions may include, but are not limited to, dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, or developmental aphasia. A specific learning disability does not include learning problems that are primarily the result of a visual, hearing, motor, intellectual, or emotional/behavioral disability, limited English proficiency, or environmental, cultural, or economic factors.
This definition is found in State Board of Education Rule 6A-6.03018, F.A.C.
State Laws and RegulationsThe rules referenced below are specific to SLD. Please refer to Volume I-B: Florida Statutes and State Board of Education Rules, Excerpts Related to Exceptional Student Education (PDF, 9MB) for a complete listing of laws and regulations applicable to exceptional student education.
- 6A-6.0331, F.A.C.: General Education Intervention Procedures, Identification, Evaluation, Reevaluation and the Initial Provision of Exceptional Education Services
- 6A-6.03018, F.A.C.: Exceptional Education Eligibility for Students with Specific Learning Disabilities
- Evaluations for Special Education Services: Information for Parents
- Administrative Code, Exceptional Student Education Eligibility for Students with Specific Learning Disabilities (PDF)
- Example Coversheet for the Written Summary of the Group’s Analysis of Data for SLD Eligibility Decisions (Word, 114KB)This Word document is provided as a visual example. Viewers may download and modify it for their individual needs.
- Technical Assistance Paper FY 2006-8 - The Response to Intervention (RtI) Model (PDF, 314KB)
- Technical Assistance Paper FY 2006-11 - Grading Policies for Students with Disabilities (PDF, 306KB)
- Accommodations: Assisting Students with Disabilities, Revised 2010
- A Parent's Introduction to Exceptional Student Education in Florida (PDF)
- Florida’s Response to Instruction/Intervention State website
- Problem-solving/Response to Intervention State Project
- Florida’s Response to Intervention-Positive Behavior Support Project
- iTunes U Resources
- Florida Center for Research in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Florida Center for Reading Research
- Florida Council for Exceptional Children