Specific Learning Disabilities (SLD)
DefinitionA specific learning disability is defined as a disorder in one or more of the basic learning processes involved in understanding or in using language, spoken or written, that may manifest in significant difficulties affecting the ability to listen, speak, read, write, spell, or do mathematics. Associated conditions may include, but are not limited to, dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, or developmental aphasia. A specific learning disability does not include learning problems that are primarily the result of a visual, hearing, motor, intellectual, or emotional/behavioral disability, limited English proficiency, or environmental, cultural, or economic factors.
This definition is found in State Board of Education Rule 6A-6.03018, F.A.C.
State Laws and RegulationsThe rules referenced below are specific to SLD. Please refer to Volume I-B: Florida Statutes and State Board of Education Rules, Excerpts Related to Exceptional Student Education (PDF, 9MB) for a complete listing of laws and regulations applicable to exceptional student education.
- 6A-6.0331, F.A.C.: General Education Intervention Procedures, Identification, Evaluation, Reevaluation and the Initial Provision of Exceptional Education Services
- 6A-6.03018, F.A.C.: Exceptional Education Eligibility for Students with Specific Learning Disabilities
- Accommodations: Assisting Students with Disabilities, Revised 2010
- A Parent's Introduction to Exceptional Student Education in Florida (PDF)
- Guiding Tools for Instructional Problem Solving (GTIPS)
- Problem-solving/Response to Intervention State Project
- Florida’s Response to Intervention-Positive Behavior Support Project
- Student Support Services Project
- Florida’s State Personnel Development Grant (SPDG) Strategic Instruction Model (SIM) Project
Technical Assistance Papers (TAPs)
- DPS: 2011-04 - General Education Intervention Procedures, Child Find, and the Initial Provision of Exceptional Education Services to Eligible Students (PDF)
- DPS: 2009-177 - Questions
and Answers: State Board of Education Rule 6A-6.03018, Florida Administrative Code, Exceptional Student Education Eligibility for
Students with Specific Learning Disabilities (PDF)
Coversheet for the Written Summary of the Group’s Analysis of Data for SLD Eligibility Decisions (Word, 114KB)
This Word document is provided as a visual example. Viewers may download and modify it for their individual needs.
- Example Coversheet for the Written Summary of the Group’s Analysis of Data for SLD Eligibility Decisions (Word, 114KB)
- DPS: 2014-128 Technical Assistance Paper Third Grade Student Progression
- Technical Assistance Paper FY 2006-8 - The Response to Intervention (RtI) Model (PDF, 314KB)
- Technical Assistance Paper FY 2006-11 - Grading Policies for Students with Disabilities (PDF, 306KB)
- iTunes U Resources
- Florida Center for Reading Research
- Florida Council for Exceptional Children
- Florida Diagnostic and Learning Resources System
- Florida’s Response to Instruction/Intervention State Web site
- Just Read, Florida!
- Office of K-12 School Choice
- Parent Involvement Exceptional Education in Florida
- Technology and Learning Connections
- Web-based Evaluation Resources
- National Association of State Directors of Special Education (Response to Intervention Project)
- IDEA Partnership website
- National Center on Learning Disabilities
- National Center on Accessible Instructional Materials
- RtI Action Network
- What Works Clearinghouse